
BARCELONA – ALAC and Regional Leaders Working Session (10 of 13)

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 – 08:30 to 10:15 CEST

ICANN63 | Barcelona, Spain

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right. Can we finish off the local discussions so we can start, please? And, can staff prepare the first document on the screen to talk about the Board questions?

God, I've never had the table quiet down this quickly before. I have to remember those words. You better remember those words.

All right. Welcome to Constituency Day. We have a pretty well full day of meetings one way or another. The first item on our agenda is the prep for the Board meeting. There were two questions asked by the Board and one multi-part question asked by At-Large.

What we are doing is, number one, trying to formulate what our answers are to the extent that we need to plan ahead of time and identify who will be speaking on behalf of the ALAC.

The first question is, what will your main priorities be in 2019. I think the logical person to answer that one is Maureen.

Does Maureen agree?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ALAN GREENBERG: That was a really enthusiastic agreement. Do we want to leave it Maureen to figure out what the answer is, or do we want to talk about it?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think we should talk about it. Give me some clues.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then, I'll turn the floor over to Maureen, who will have to stop typing and ...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not necessarily.

ALAN GREEBERG: Well, maybe not.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Can't you do the brainstorming so that I can [inaudible]?

ALAN GREEBERG: Can't I do the brainstorming while you're not listening? Sure.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible]. I'm taking notes.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right.

[MAUREEN HILYARD]: [inaudible] insults.

ALAN GREENBERG: There are clearly a number of obvious parts to that. We're going to focus on the At-Large Review. We're going to put some effort into the most crucial PDPs, which is largely, at this point, the subsequent procedures in its various aspects. We haven't put a lot of our effort into things like intellectual property rights and things, I don't think we're likely to put a lot of effort into those.

EPDP is going to take a little bit of focus on our part. Maybe a lot. It's not clear. But, over and above that, what else do we have to mention that are our continual focus? Or, our major focus?

Looking for hands.

John?

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you. Well, we're also, at least for At-Large, planning for Montreal, so that's going to be taking some of our attention as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: The At-Large Summit. Yes, correct. Slipped my mind.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I had it.

ALAN GREEBERG: Didn't slip Maureen's. Is it that simple? Clearly, a large part of it is going to be the specific activities associated with the review. I don't know to what extent you want to focus in on that, but if there's a single specific one, it is working to develop more expertise on then periphery. I'd use working like that because that's really the issue. The issue is getting people who are not part of the core group to know what we're talking about.

Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I guess I will use a [inaudible] phrase. "What is the most [of use] concerning the end user?" Because we can say that we are taking care of everything in ICANN, full stop, and we [don't] have a lot of time to discuss with the Board.

But, what they're asking is? It's our main priorities. Our main priorities is, yes, doing everything, but what are the more important things that we want to discuss with them? If we say that we do everything, they know. Or, if they don't know, it doesn't matter. They must know. We need to focus on one or two things or three things that are very important for us.

I guess I agree with John that we need to talk about the so-called ATLAS 3, and we need to tell them what really we think, not what you have negotiated. Sorry.

If I am the only one to say that we start with a big, big hurdle in saying that there just will be 60 people, I will be quiet. But, I would like very much to know what the point of view of ALAC is on that specific topic. It's good to have At-Large. It's good to have 60 people. But, it's not good to have not more people.

What is the second or the third thing? I have the impression that we may talk about something that could have consequences on the end user and on organizations about the development of the Internet.

Auction Proceeds seems to be forming one of them, but maybe I'm wrong. All the rest we already have talked about at length this meeting, and I'm not sure it's a good use of our time to discuss that once again with the Board, the EPDP, the [WHOIS], blah, blah, blah, blah. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Sebastien. I'd like some clarification. I didn't hear anyone say we should say we're going to focus on everything. I heard a number of specific points. I'm not sure this is an opportunity to debate the various merits of the issues. We certainly can make it that, but I didn't think that was the intent.

If we're going to have a discussion, for instance, on ATLAS, and is the size correct? That's a discussion we should have now, first, to

understand what the implications are. I didn't think that was the intent, but if that is what we're going to do, then we should quick round-the-table and here what people's views are.

We have a speakers queue, though. Jonathan?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: I see a lot of other –

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks. I guess I'd be inclined to be pithy on this topic. I think I would do my best to gain the confidence in the Board that we have a sense of what needs to happen in terms of the reform, maybe boil that down to three main points of things we've identified that really need to be improved and what it is we're going to approve them. I would get out quickly after that.

I don't think they really are as concerned about which working groups we're going to be on or something like that. I think it's a question of, do we get it, and are we on it? I think that would be the best way to answer this question.

I would really, really would not use it as another opportunity to talk about ATLAS. I feel like it's the wrong time.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's one where, whether we think we got enough money or not, we're in a better prediction than many of us were predicting a few months ago. I would not belabor that in a public meeting. That's my take.

John?

JOHN LAPRISE: So, Sebastien and Jonathan have both inspired me to think further on the Board's question. The Board's not asking us what things we're going to be doing. I think, if I look at it again, it's asking a thematic question. So, what's important to us is the 2019? In At-Large, it's making the Internet easy to use for end users globally, making it a safe experience to the extent we can, and to build engagement with end users to listen to them to find out what they want so that we can express that ICANN.

To the extent that the various PDPs and our own internal actions reflect that, that's how we tie that together.

But, as I look at it, I think it's perhaps more important to look at the really big picture and get even more pithy, as it were, and sort of take that approach.

ALAN GREENBERG: Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Sorry. I don't know if this is the place to bring it in, but I wanted to let them know that we're watching what's going on in the strategic plan. I

think it's really important that we pay attention to how that's evolving. They should know that people are watching and will be participating.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: I don't think we need to add any other topic because we have a brief meeting, but when it comes to EPDP, yesterday there was something that was not mentioned that I believe is important for young people.

There is a topic that is closely related to end users because it might impact on security, and this is access to law enforcement agents that have to investigate crimes.

I know that that topic was dealt with, but this is a very important topic for the end users because we are talking about access restrictions, but we are not talking about the access possibilities for those who are really in need to access, for example, for crime investigation that might impact Internet users. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ricardo?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Based on Marita just mentioned about the strategic plan, I was very surprised yesterday by the points that Cherine in the opening session. The multi-stakeholder model is getting very expensive and taking too

much time. I was very surprised that he highlighted this point in this way, because, once we talked to one of the points at the end of the day, I can remember that it was not highlighted in that very bad way. I was surprised that Cherine mentioned that the model is not working or the model is getting overheated or something like that. I don't know. I was very surprised with that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Out of curiosity, do you think he's right?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I'm not sure, but being in a place of the multi-stakeholders and mentioning that the model is getting expensive and is getting slow, I don't know if this is the right place to do that, once we are just beginning with the strategic plan. If this is the sense of everybody, the ones that will be missing at the table are us because the rest of the people who will have the money to be at the table will not [have it].

So, if the multi-stakeholder model is no longer the one to be there, the ones who are going to be missed is us, I guess.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm quite sure I can project to any microphone at the table. It's not a problem. Just to follow on from you, Ricardo, I think, from my

[inaudible] point of view, this is a matter that we need to watch very carefully. It is a time during this development of the next five years' strategic plan for us to ensure the role we have as an acting in the best interest of Internet end users is maintained.

I understand the desires for efficiencies. Heavens above, I understand how slow policy development can be, spending all the years and then years within years doing it.

But, as I also pointed out during the session, the increase in appropriate expenditure is not linked to a lessening of efficiencies or performance. In fact, we can strengthen the multi-stakeholder model, and we can strengthen the outcomes with appropriate planning, with appropriate focus, and with appropriate expenditure.

But, the other thing I wanted you – it'll save me if you don't mind bringing this up at the GNSO liaison report – know is that we now also need to look at – and I will distribute it at the end of this week when it is finalized – the PDP (Policy Development Process) 3.0 that the GNSO will be operating in in the near future. There are some aspects there which can be seen as both threats and opportunities. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. We have Marita and then the queue is closed. I'm in it. I've moved myself down several times. But, I'll note that we are just about finished with this session, and we've just talked about the first question, which was the easy one. Although, we have wandered into the second one along the way.

Marita? Oh – no? Okay.

Just a couple of comments on what I've heard along the way. To Ricardo, I was rather surprised he brought that up at the open meeting. I suspect that was interesting Board discussion on whether to do that or not. But, it's the subject of the second question, number one. It's been a major subject of the GNSO for the last nine months or so. So, it's not a surprise.

Now, will this impact our ability to interact? Potentially, yes, so it's something we need to keep an eye on. But, I think that that's a reality. Some of us have been preaching the fact that, certainly, the GNSO model has not been working for years. It's only recently that other people in the GNSO have said it. So it's not surprising, but that is the subject of the second question. I don't think we can avoid the discussion.

One or two other things. I would not say what John suggested we say, to say, "Our aim is to start listening to the users." Well, the wording you used essentially said that, and that says, "You mean you haven't?" I don't think that's something we want to raise in that forum.

Maureen, this was done for guidance for you. Do you feel comfortable at this point?

MAUREEN HILLYARD: Yeah. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. The next item is, how should the multi-stakeholder model of governance and policy development evolve? I won't read the rest of it. That essentially is the subject we drifted into. As I said, it's certainly an issue that some of us, from watching from the At-Large perspective, have recognized, "This is a problem." We can give you evidence going back at least ten years to demonstrate that it is a very significant problem.

How to fix it is a different problem. From our perspective, it's not the only problem. The fact that, in the minds of some, the discussions have been captured by either contracted parties or other parts of the GNSO who do have a seat at that table and that there's no way that's going to be taken away from them I think is a very significant problem.

The more recent problem is that people who are not affiliated with ICANN have come into discussions and have dominated some of the discussions and stopped progress just because they speak more than others.

So, it's a multi-faceted problem. It's a real interesting thing. We have been campaigning for the multi-stakeholder model forever. The question is, does it work?

Well, we have instances where clearly it does, and you can also look at, for instance, accountability, which is the poster child for how well the multi-stakeholder model can work. I can point out a couple of results of the accountability exercise in the new bylaws which I know are the result of paid lobbyists who were in that room. They spoke long and hard and won enough people over because there was no way to keep

them quiet. Although they didn't have a veto, they didn't even have a vote, if we had come to a vote. They won. So, I can't argue with it.

The question says, how should it evolve? I don't know if I have any answers, but I think the first answer I would give – I don't mind doing that as the first level – is the fact that we are now acknowledging that there's a problem is the first step to any potential solution. As long as you don't believe there's a problem, you're not going to solve it. We're now talking about it, and that's a real positive thing in my mind.

We have a speaker queue. Has anyone been watching the order? Jonathan? I'll take them in physical order because I have no other choice. Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Well, thank you for that broad endorsement –

ALAN GREENBERG: Hadia says she was the first, so we're going to take Hadia first. Does it really matter?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So, my thought on this is that I was really happy that, yesterday, Goran, in his speech during the opening session, mentioned the Internet users. I think this is the first time that I heard it in a speech, in an opening speech. I was very happy that it is finally acknowledged that Internet users are really the people who matter. ICANN, the Internet, and everything exists because of them and exists to serve them.

So, I think Internet users, and ALAC being the voice of the Internet users, need to have a more influential role in developing policies and should have a more sort of a championship role when it comes to change, if necessary. So, I think part of the evolvement of the model and part of the inclusivity would be ALAC having a more influential role in policy development.

I don't know how this could be incorporated in a more meaningful way other than words, but that's my thought on that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Sebastien?

Just for the record, the order I'm announcing it in is the order. It's double [think]. We change reality.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, Chair, I accept that I was the last one, but I am very happy to be the second one. I will switch to French.

Hadia, he waited three years to talk about end users. Our former CEO always talked about end users from the first day. So, this is great. He talks about it, but I am afraid it is to make us go to sleep.

I think we need to give an answer. For my part, I am activist regarding that. But, I think we have to review the entire ICANN and not review each and every silo. Review ICANN in its entirety. We have a global issue in our organization and it's at the global level where we should do that review.

ALAN GREENBERG: John?

JOHN LARPISE: First of all, I'm going to disagree with Sebastien on this one. I don't think rebuilding the airplane when in flight is a useful exercise. Incremental change is a better solution.

With respect to the bullet point in particular, I was attending the ICANN strategy meeting yesterday. This is one of the five prongs that ICANN org is looking at going forward with the strategic plan that it will be sending out for public comment probably prior to the Kobe meeting.

So, seeing this on the questions from the Board makes me think that they're really fishing for some more guidance on this because it is central to what ICANN org is looking for towards the future.

So, just a heads up with respect to the strategic plan. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Jonathan? By the way, I'm in the queue, but I'm keeping myself at the end, so it'll push it all the way down. Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks. As far as the multi-stakeholder model, I still believe that sticking to our own knitting is the first thing that we need to do, and really get ALAC to where we want it to be before trying to make additional requests for influence or input.

I think another part of the multi-stakeholder process working better actually reflects back on the Board. A commitment from the Board not to play the role of tiebreaker or Solomon I think will help to force the community into a better frame of mind with respect to consensus building because, as it stands now, what we're all doing is we're engaged in a process that becomes largely irrelevant because we're mostly lobbying the Board for our point of view at the end of it.

So, I think the extent to which the Board commits to push –

ALAN GREENBERG: If I may interrupt, the queue is closed. Please go ahead.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Sorry. To the extent to which the Board commits to pushing all of those kinds of non-consensus consensus calls back to the community and not try to find a way to balance interest and make a decision, I think the more that it forces this group to be – not ALAC, but the ICANN community – more motivated toward compromise and consensus because they can't just lobby their way out by approaching the Board as a decision maker.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that is in line with what the Board has said they intend to do.

Marita – sorry. Satish?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Alan. Yesterday's opening session had the Chair speaking about the new vision for ICANN. Hopefully, of course, we would like to be assertive about our role in securing the rights of the end users in the new vision.

But, given the fact that the reason that [proponents] of other parts of ICANN which also cater to end users – but, clearly, in the EPDP process, the representation from NCSG, for example, seems to be quite extraordinary.

I would like to know whether this is, in any way, a pointer to things that might come in the future regarding who safeguards the end users within the ICANN structure. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'll point out that that is the GNSO, not of the Board. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Just to answer this question, I will say that I will motivate the community to look at their processes. I'm just thinking about what happened in, I think, Copenhagen, where these long graphics of the process of the policy development [inaudible] went around the building. We should look at that and see what things we can take our or make more efficient so we can do things in a more timely manner, or more effective manner, because part of the time usually comes about the debate, not really the process. But, making it effective would be one way of helping. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Yes, I was also pretty startled to see that one statement on the opening talks about looking at the effectiveness of the multi-stakeholder. But, it's not out of place. Various things have been tried and tested for a while. There are lots of roadblocks that happen.

I just have to say that it's a very difficult process. Nobody here, or some people here, has really had any education about how to work inside that process.

Olivier and I were part of a two-day ISOC-promoted session on learning how to work in the multi-stakeholder process this summer. That was an interesting thing. I think I would say to Goran that maybe some education among the parties and how to learn to cooperate and collaborate wouldn't be a bad idea. It might move people along better if they're forced into, "Okay. This is what you have to do. You have to negotiate. You have to collaborate and compromise in order to get anything done.

I haven't seen that happening here. I mentioned yesterday at one of the sessions that I think some of the facilitation and some of the extra effort and help that's gone into making the EPDP work a little or work at all might be useful in looking into the future of how the multi-stakeholder process should work.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you. John, I am sure that I was not saying that we need to build another plane [in] the way that this one is working, but when we worked on ICANN 2.0, okay, it was a long time ago – it was in 2002 – we had done work to have a global view and not just a [side] view. I think it’s really the time to do it.

Marita, I know what you are asking for, and I think that the little answer is the leadership training program, which has helped the future leaders of the organization to have a training for two days. Now, I guess it will be in Kobe, if I’m not mistaken. We have to decide who will be representing, or who will be for At-Large. It could be a good way.

The last point is that I agree with you. We need training. For example, with the way we are asking now to handle the strategic plan, [inaudible] a budget plan for five years, there is a need for us to change the way were thinking about, and maybe – not maybe – a training on that to handle that in the best way possible for the organization and for us. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you very much. A number of comments. In terms of rebuilding the plane or reconstituting ICANN, I agree with Sebastien

100%. It should be done, but I think that, if we attempted that, it would freeze ICANN for the next five years.

The 2002 revamp was not done by the community bottom-up. It was largely done top-down. Now, I'm not going into details, but, essentially, it was decisions made. I don't think we could do that anymore, and I'm not sure what that would do. Although, I do agree with Sebastien 100%: we definitely need it. I think that's the core of the problem.

I think it was Eduardo who mentioned the charts. The concept of bringing up the charts when Goran is there and hasn't started talking about whatever they were called – fuddle duddle charts or something like that – scares me, but I think part of that is the core, that we are rarely good at adding process. We're not very good at taking away process. If you look at the accountability improvements that we just approved a week ago or so, Heaven help us. We have an added an awful lot to that. So, interesting.

I wish I could agree with Marita that we needed training on negotiation. I think the model that we have worked in for the last bunch of years – I'll note that the working group model that the GNSO has used was imposed by the Board. They were told they had to do it. I think people have been trained very well on how to capture discussions and how to dominate them and how to make sure they win or at least stall things and wear people down. I'm not sure it's a matter of that they don't know how to negotiate. They have learned they don't have to negotiate.

Cheryl wants in. I'll note that we have pretty well used up all of our time for this and the GAC prep and we have not gotten to the question for the Board. But, I'll give Cheryl the floor for the very last comment.

MARITA MOLL: Can I just quickly respond to what you said there, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sure.

MARITA MOLL: Yes, there are some people who know how to stall things and how to stop the process, and they're the ones that have been trained. It's the rest of us who need training to respond to that. That's my feeling.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's not how to negotiate. That's how to dominate. We need to know how to dominate, too. I'm not sure that that's a target we really want to game at.

Cheryl, very briefly, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. It is to that point that I wanted to make the statement publicly that, of course, we can benefit, we can leverage, off the recent training that was funded by ICANN for another part of the community within the GNSO. I've attended all of those negotiation skills, etc.,

training because I felt that I needed to polish up my skillset of being, in any way, shape, or form, experienced in these things.

But, the point is, they're going on ICANN Learn. So, when we get to Betsy, perhaps we could discuss what the opportunities would be to leverage off these already other existing things. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Who's going to answer this question? I'm prepared to try to answer it. I will send out a summary sometimes today. I don't know when. I will not have captured everything, but, clearly, we agree that there is a problem. I don't think anyone is disagreeing that there's a problem. There are a number of different potential solutions, some more preferred, some not. Unless someone else wants to take it and try to represent us all and present something to us by tomorrow, then I will take that.

The question that was asked, essentially, is, do we need more gTLDs. The same question the GAC has raised with us, by the way. Assuming we go ahead with new gTLDs, who is looking at the overall impact on ICANN and the community, not just – right now, the PDP, to a large extent, is focusing on how to do it. The question of whether to do it in theory came up and was done away with pretty quickly because there's enough voices to say we have to.

There are some voices, as you might have heard at the open forum yesterday, that say, "We should not be looking for general rounds. We should be looking for targeted rounds." That's something I think the At-

Large has sad multiple times. It seems to have no traction whatsoever within the PDP because of just the kind of discussions we're having here. There are lots of people who don't want to be left out.

But, who's going to make that decision? Now, I'll point out that, if the PDP comes and says, "We're going to do a generic round everything," the Board doesn't have the discretion of saying, "No. We'll only do brand and geo-names, or brands and cities." They don't have the discretion to do that. All they can do is toss it back to the GNSO and say, "We don't consider this acceptable." I don't know what the GNSO would do with it. That's an interesting question.

But, it's not clear that there is anybody looking at the impact. When we started the new gTLD process in this era – not the first two rounds that happened in the dark ages, so to speak – we presumed that the new gTLDs would be so popular that we were going to make money hands over fist on it and we didn't have to think about what is the cost to ICANN, what is now ICANN org, of having these gTLDs in an era where the registries are saying, "Lower our fees. We don't have enough registrations." Where the registrations have not grown very significantly, it is not clear that, if we get a whole bunch of new gTLDs, they will be funded properly.

Now, ICANN is very good at saying, "Oh, well, we planned very carefully. We're sure GDD and Compliance will be able to handle it." My personal answer is that I don't believe it for a moment. But, there's nothing I can do to prove that.

So, I have a concern that there's nobody who's thinking about whether we should do it from an overall perspective of the ecosystem and ICANN. We're spending all our time figuring out how to do it, and that's a concern with me.

That's the question that I posed. No one else posed any other questions, so it's the one that's on the table right now. I'm not going to spend nearly as much time there as I did today, just presenting it here, but I think that I'm interested in finding out the answer.

Unfortunately, these meetings are – you'll notice the title on that: Questions to the Board. That means that the Board will come up with an answer they have debated, instead of a range of opinions from Board members, which is what I would have far preferred. But, that isn't what they are comfortable doing in a public environment.

We have a couple of hands – actually, we only have one. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Alan. For the record, last time I raised my nametag before two people, and you gave the floor to those two people and closed the list. And, you take the time to continue the discussion on the same subject. So, please try to give the floor to all people who raise their hands.

Now –

ALAN GREENBERG: I put that challenge to the person who is noting the queue. Thank you. But, I apologize.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No problem. So, for this issue, the PDP Working Group is not working only on how to do it. They are working on how it will be done very soon. Since they are thinking of creating an implementation team even before the Board agrees on it or approves it and even before the last public comment starts and they said, “This is to save time because we are very late,” I think that our discussion with the Board is not to have answers from them. It’s also to raise their attention to some things. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I hope the existence of the question and some of the pointed lines do just that. I hope so.

Marita?

MARITA MOLL: I think it’s a good question. We’re probably not going to get an answer to it. I’m a little concerned that some of the strategic plan is going to be delivered around the assumption that there’s going to be a new round and a lot of money coming in from it.

But, I would like to know the answer, if we could have an answer to that question. It would make a difference in at least some of the PDP processes.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. The wording associated with the financial line of the strategic direction aren't the plan yet. However, it is very worrisome because there is concern that the delays or the uncertainty in the program is costing us money. That's the implication. It doesn't quite say it. So, that's an implication that, if we were to do it, we would make piles of money. Not something that's intuitively obvious to me.

I see no more queue. I will, unless anyone objects, take lead on this because I am the one who phrased it. But, I will look for other people to make comments on it. So, please be prepared to make very short but pointed comments, just the kind of things that Marita just raised. Thank you.

We have not had time to do our GAC preparation. We will try to find a few minutes before the meeting – I don't know where – to go ahead.

Yrjo wants to take five minutes now. I suggest that, since we already have a guest at the table, we not. But, if we have any time at the end of this session, if we end a little bit early, we'll do it then, or we'll try to fit it in somewhere else.

I don't have anything to say, other than I'll turn it over to Betsy because I wasn't involved in Betsy being invited to this session. So, I don't know what the content is because this was done after I set the schedules. So, I'll turn it over to Maureen, perhaps, who knows what we're doing.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm pleased to see you here, Betsy.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm pleased also. It just wasn't on my piece of paper, so moderately surprised.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, actually, Betsy's presence today is actually as an apology for using up her time in the previous session when she was assigned. So, we're very pleased that she found some time to come back and do her presentation this morning. Great. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: My apologies. That was the Saturday, I guess, where I wasn't here. So, I wasn't aware of that.

BETSY ANDREWS: Hello, everybody. My name is Betsy Andrews. Thank you for having me again. There's an American late-night talk show where there's this ongoing joke that the host doesn't make time for an actor, for a celebrity, Matt Damon. So, at the end of his show every night for about two years, he said, "Apologies to Matt Damon, who we don't have time for tonight," to tease him about not being famous enough, even though

he's enormously famous. So, I feel like I get to be Matt Damon to the At-Large.

ALAN GREENBERG: With apologies to Betsy.

BETSY ANDREWS: With apologies to Betsy, right. Because I'm so famous.

]CHERYL LANGDON-ORR]: You should be.

BETSY ANDREWS: Well, I recognize many of you, which is just lovely. So, thank you for having me here. I have enjoyed working with you. I look forward to working with others of you in the future.

To give you a little context about who I am and where I work within ICANN org, I'm in the Public Responsibility Department. So, when I came in, I heard a call for some educational needs. Cheryl mentioned some FY '18 additional budget request work that had come up through the GNSO. Sebastien mentioned the leadership program. So, my department is where those things live.

To give you some context for what Public Responsibility does, we also oversee the Fellowship Program. I know many of you are very interested in the revamp that's going on right now for the Fellowship Program to improve it so that it can meet the needs of the community.

We also run the NextGen Program. We have championed the ICANN History Project, which is a really great thing to visit on the website if you haven't done that already. There's so many lessons to learn from people who are really fundamental in creating ICANN. That will help build our institutional knowledge, so, being a bit of an academic nerd, that is very exciting to me.

And, the Human Rights Impact Assessment that you'll be hearing more of as it is completed to help give the org some advice about how to continue with those practices and improve some niggly details about how the org is run Goran mentioned in his welcoming remarks. That lives in my department as well. So, we've been making sure that that goes smoothly.

Then, finally, one of my responsibilities is ICANN Learn. So, if you haven't visited ICANN Learn yet, I encourage you to do so. It's Learn.ICANN.org. It's a free and open online learning platform that we have. Those of you who've been around for a while know that we revamped it a couple of years ago. I was tasked with that, with several goals in mind: security, industry standards for technical training. Accessibility is something that I'm particularly concerned with. I know that it's a concern of yours as well.

So, a minute ago was what the website looked like when you come to it. We have recently changed the sign-in to be a bit more secure. So, you have to have a mega-complicated password. I hope you have one of those fabulous password keepers.

So, when you log into ICANN Learn, what's actually happening behind the scenes is the new ICANN account, which you may have heard a little bit about. So, eventually, various things that you have to log into for ICANN will all be located in one place. ICANN Learn was the guinea pig, as we say. We experimented with ICANN Learn to see if this login system would work efficiently and well. I'm very happy to report to you that it has worked well. We have implemented it and had very few problems that we've been able to sort out since then.

So, that's something that you may not realize is going to help along the road when other things are implemented because now we've already done this with ICANN Learn.

But, having said that, we can move to my next slide. I'd just like to give you a little bit of an update on ICANN Learn, and then we can talk about the strategic function of ICANN Learn and maybe talk about what some of your needs are and how you could use it as a resource.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I'm sorry, Betsy. Which presentation will you be using today? I didn't have –

BETSY ANDREWS: It's the second one after this, so it's orange on one side and there's a picture of a classroom on the other.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Okay. Just –

BETSY ANDERWS: That's all right. I'll just make it up.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Do you know the file name?

BETSY ANDREWS: It was in the same file with that image – oh, you've just brought up the website, haven't you?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.

BETSY ANDREWS: Okay. So, it would be from Saturday's presentation, right after Ergys's.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Okay. We only had his [inaudible] update, but I'll find it. Just give me one minute.

BETSY ANDREWS: Okay. I put them in the same file, but it's probably is just the slides after his.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Okay.

BETSY ANDREWS:

Sorry about that. Technical difficulties. At any rate, ICANN Learn – let’s see the best place to start. So, we are working on some fundamental training that’s going on at ICANN Learn. We have recently revised the introduction to the ICANN Learn course, and it’s now available in seven languages on the platform. So, that’s a good introduction that can be accessed in the language that’s most convenient for you.

Also, I should mention that the platform itself, the interface, can be available in 29 different languages. So, while ICANN can only, due to resources – that’s it; perfect – produce courses in a certain number of languages, we can’t do it to infinitely. But, on the platform itself, if you go down to the bottom of ICANN Learn on any of the pages, there’s a little globe. If you click on it, it gives you a popup menu where you can choose any one of 29 languages. And, they’re expanding. So, it was 22 when we started a couple years ago, and now it’s 29. So, that’s quite good.

Back to the introduction, ICANN is now available seven languages. We are also working on a DNS Fundamentals course that I wanted to be ready before this meeting, but it is almost there. So, in the next couple of weeks, DNS Fundamentals will be launched in English, and we’ll be rolling out the subsequent languages after that.

There’s a basic policy fundamentals course that’s in the works about the complicated systems of how policy is generated at ICANN and how it’s different within the different areas of the community.

These courses are important because a lot of the training that people are wanting to deliver for their different groups are going to draw on these basic concepts. A lot of the workshops in-person and the webinars that we have online also build on these basic concepts.

So, the idea is that, in order to prepare, say, for example, the Fellows to attend a meeting where they can maximize the opportunity for a Q&A with an expert in a particular field, they can then be required to take these basic online courses – they take about an hour to do – so that, when they get into the room, everybody is one the same page. This is really helpful, particularly for things like – I just came from the GAC Public Safety Working Group meeting – when we’re training law enforcement or various things in order to maximize the time that we have when somebody is one the ground. It’s really great if they already have a concept of how the DNS works.

Also, we have, by and large, a binary division at ICANN in that we have policy folks and we have technical folks. It’s very nice for the policy folks to be able to take a technical course to build their skills, and vice versa for the tech folks to be able to get some policy training.

Having said that, we also do things that are more along the lines of what some people consider to be soft skills. So, we do these knowledge-building exercises, like we’re doing with the DNS Fundamentals and the Policy Fundamentals, and processes. For example, there’s a couple of review policies that are up, and that’s to help people navigate that slightly complicated site.

So, we do knowledge-building, and we're also doing skill-building. So, Cheryl referenced the FY '18 additional budget request by NCUC, NCSG, and NPOC for policy development effectiveness. So, that was one of those programs that came in, and the response from the committee was that there would be an in-person element, there would be two webinars that were offered at two different times each, and then there would be an online learning element.

So, part of my job, a large part of my job in the past six months, has been to take those elements and to work with an instructional designer and to build an online course. So, this is in response to the GNSO request, but this course is going to be made available publicly. So, this is for everyone to use.

Those of you who may be interested in the leadership program, it's David [Kulp] with whom we have worked to produce these materials. So, they're very high-quality materials. They are generally applicable concepts that benefit us all. That's something that will be on ICANN Learn and available to you and everyone.

Now, having said that, that's a basic overview of the content that is on ICANN Learn or will be on ICANN Learn. But, the point of ICANN Learn is that it is a resource available to you in order to meet your capacity development needs. So, it's not just about staff or other groups building content that you can use. You can also use it to build your own content, which you know from the capacity building webinars, the excellent webinars that you do that are currently archived in ICANN Learn.

Part of why we did that, working with Tijani in the last couple of years, is because there's an automatic certificate function, which is extremely appealing to a lot of people in the community.

What we have found is that the engagement with straight video on the platform is not very popular. So, while people like to attend live webinars, they don't like to watch them again after the fact. I do think that there is a role for ICANN Learn or for the wiki or for anything to be an archive because it's important for us to maintain access to institutional knowledge. But, I would like for you to consider ICANN Learn as a more dynamic platform that you can use, and also that you can use the data on ICANN Learn to help influence your strategy when you're talking about capacity development in the future.

So, for example, if you have the volunteer time and capacity, someone could edit the webinars so that we're pulling out the most salient parts, interspersing them with some knowledge checks, a true/false question, or a multiple-choice question here and there, just so that somebody who's watching it who's coming to it who didn't participate in the webinar knows what the key points are to pick up on. So, that can be an idea in 2019: to work with the capacity building webinars.

We also have the capacity to do live online courses, like you would in a university setting, where you enroll in a course and then the platform automates all the admin and reminds you attend and you log in and you come in and it takes attendance and all of these things.

But, one of the challenges that we've discussed with this is that it can only be delivered in one language, so there's a call bridge problem that

I'm trying to sort out. But, currently, it can only be delivered in one language.

The other challenge that we have met is that it's one-way audio. So, it's like a lecture environment, where there is a chat but the participants can't speak. So, that doesn't work for the kind of interactive webinar that you might be generating, and it doesn't work to have a discussion. Adobe Connect is still the best format for that.

But, if you were considering something like a lecture series, a virtual workshop, it's the perfect environment for that. It's free for you to use and there's a whole lot less admin for the Secretariat. So, that's part of this resource that you can use.

Another thing that I'm aware of is this ATLAS 3 program that you have coming up. You might consider using ICANN Learn in one of several ways. You might find that content that is already on the platform is something that you would like for people to participate in ahead of time.

If that's the case, we can create a learning key, which is something that a user can come in and enter, and it gives them prescribed courses. It can either be a bucket of courses, like we currently do for the Fellows, or it could be a prescribed order of courses that they need to take. That's what we're going to be doing for the Fellows as the program is revamped.

So, that's just something for you to consider in terms of how you use the platform.

My team is available to help you produce the courses, but your responsibility is for the content. Staff can obviously help put you in touch with content experts, though you are the content experts in many, many fields. So, consider what you know. Consider what your needs are. Then, let's have a discussion. I can help you to understand how you can leverage the platform to meet the needs that you have.

I think that there's a great opportunity for scalable capacity development that doesn't require the same level of resources that in-person training requires. This is never going to replace in-person training. There's an element of being face-to-face that is absolutely essential. But, this can certainly enhance face-to-face training and virtual training. With self-paced learning, so you don't have to worry about time zones, which is a consideration always. You don't have to worry about the expense to travel, and you might be able to make more of the time that you have together when you do travel.

So, that's my bit on ICANN Learn. That's one of the reason I think it's so important: it's virtually available everywhere, it's much more accessible than what we've had in the past, it's much more compatible with JAWS readers, for folks who have vision or hearing impairment, it works on the phone now, and it knows to buffer videos differently and whatnot – and games – if you don't have a fabulous Internet connection.

Something that I'm trying to work on is a download mode so that, before a flight or before you're going into an area where you won't have a connection, you can say, "These are the courses that I plan to take."

You can download it onto your machine – your phone or your tablet or your computer – whatever – and it would be available to you. Then, when you're ready for it not to take space on your device, you can untick the box. So, that's something that I'm hoping is coming that will be more convenient as well.

But, it is SCORM-complaint for those of you who are aware of instructional design elements, so there are a lot of different things that we do on it. But, it's also super, super easy just to upload objects.

Each course has with it a resources folder, so that's a great place to put things like handouts or content that might change. In several of our courses, we have a handout with relevant hyperlinks, and we don't put those hyperlinks in the course itself because those are inclined to change before the course is going to be updated. So, the resource folder is another important thing to mention.

I would really like to take your questions, I would really like to help with the discussion of what materials you might want to prepare for the ALTAS 3 if that's what you want to chat about.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right. We have a long queue. I'm going to make a statement. I don't want an answer. I hope your human rights assessment is including factor in access for those with disabilities.

BETSY ANDREWS: Let me just clarify. The Human Rights Impact Assessment, and one of the areas is Events. So, that is include.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's not only events.

Oh, sorry.

Having trouble with the button. Evin first, and then Tijani.

EVIN ERDOGU: Thank you, Alan. I'm just reading off comments from the AC room chat. First one is from Javier. This is from the early conversation, but –

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah [inaudible]

EVIN ERDOGDU: Okay. I'll just read off the current comments for this one. It's from Alfredo, who's sitting next to me. Would you like to go ahead and say it?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yeah.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Thank you.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Betsy and I were going back and forth discussing some of the things that she brought up today. So, the first thing is that, Betsy, I want to congratulate you and your staff because, when I started off in the first Fellowship, I had the first conversation with her. She has actually taken all my comments, all my recommendations, into account with what's she's doing right now. So, I have to congratulate you because you're doing a fabulous job.

Actually, some of my comments have to deal exactly with what you mentioned about the interaction between the participants. As a Fellow, it's incredible, the difference between the first Fellowship, where all of us took a course and, at this meeting, which is my third Fellowship, every one of us was prepared. Instead of watching somebody in the Fellowship offer a presentation, we were discussing issues. We were talking about the doubts we had based on the presentations that were mandatory for us to see, to watch, and write down all the questions about. So, it was a really good step up to have us all be prepared to answer and ask questions instead of just sitting there for half-an-hour or an hour-and-a-half, listening to somebody say something.

The other thing is that I also have to congratulate you because you're doing the things that I as an end user would have expected from a platform like this, where I can learn the basic skills that I need in order to get more involved and engaged in the different constituencies.

So, thank you for that. I hope to keep collaborating with you. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Alfredo. I appreciate your help as well. Your remark about preparedness is something to keep in mind as you guys are preparing individuals in your group and those that you want to approach with outreach to be prepared for your sessions and workshops in the future.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. The queue is closed. Next is John.

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you, Betsy, for your presentation. I touched base with Evin and set up an action item to chat with you because, as Social Media Chair, we'll design the campaign to support ICANN Learn.

BETSY ANDREWS: That's great.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Betsy. I have a question. If we have a set of courses that people are mandated to take, I believe the system will give you some kind of certification that that person did take them?

Okay. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS:

Yes, Eduardo, in two different ways. So, on the back end, the administration of that key that I was talking about when you bundle courses together will indicate who's finished or how far along they are or if they have test scores – whatever the data is that you want to collect. That can also be set up on a schedule to be e-mailed to whoever is monitoring the course. It doesn't include personal information, obviously, because we care a lot about GDPR. But, you can keep track of the status that way.

Also, individuals who take the courses receive PDF certificates that have their name and the name of the course on it. So, for example, with the new Fellowship applications, starting with ICANN 65, the Fellows, at the point that they apply, will be required to take an ICANN Learn course. Part of the application process is to upload that certificate.

So, we get it on both fronts. They have to self-verify, but we can also see it on the back end.

So, the same will be true – in fact, we did some prerequisite courses for the APIGA – oh, I don't know the acronym. I don't know the words. Anyway, the Asia-Pacific Internet Governance Academy or Program or something like that. So, we did prep courses for that, and it helped the administrators of that workshop to understand how many people had completed how much and what their sort of relevant knowledge check scores had been. So, these are tools you can use as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Satish?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you very much. You just mentioned APIGA. It's one of the initiatives that I am personally involved with. But, also, several other national Internet governance academies and schools of Internet governance are actually using ICANN Learn.

In India, we just completed the India School of Internet Governance, and ICANN Learn was required to be taken by all the participants.

So, thanks very much for these resources because it's very useful to us in the trenches at the grassroots.

Now, my question or a suggestion – of course, with ATLAS 3, we feel also that we can use this material in the same way because we have a bunch of people coming with various backgrounds hopefully plugged in. But, still, we would like to get them on the same level, and these resources would help with that.

Now, regarding summaries for webinars, in many places we have a bandwidth and we may not be able to access the full video that the webinar is normally packaged in. So, it would help if we had some text summary posted in some wiki which we could read online on mobiles or whatever. It would be much more friendly for people who are bandwidth-challenged, especially in the Asia-Pacific region.

Thank you very much.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Satish. That's an important observation. That's also important for accessibility. So, for every video or every image or every game that you include on ICANN Learn, you need to also provide what the alternate text would be to be read out. So, if all the content in the video is not just audio, then for vision impairment, you need something else. If everything is not just visual, then for hearing impairment you need something else. So, we're sort of solving the problem on both fronts when we provide that.

When you are creating materials for your capacity development needs, it's important to things like that, which we call alt text. It's a new word I learned. So, it's just short for alternative text. But, these are the kinds of features that help across multiple fronts, whether it's low bandwidth or other accessibility others. So, these things we're keeping in mind, and it's a great observation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Wale?

WALE BAKARE: Good morning. So, my comment basically is about the very first [inaudible]. Thank you for the initiative. It's welcomed here.

I don't know when you started [inaudible]. However, my expectation was that, coming to this place, we should have a kind of five-minute presentation on how a user can navigate through the portal and how [inaudible] and how to assess the content and how to upload that'd be, like, five minutes. I think that would be a great thing for an end user to

be able to asses because, by the time the user started using this, I'm very sure that some people will encounter some kind of difficulty and all that. [inaudible] analyze, these end users will be able to use the portal. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Wale. I'm happy to do a demo at some point. I don't think that's the best use of our time right now because I'd like to get everybody's questions. But, also, Tijani has anticipated your request and requested a document that walks you through, step by step, how to sign up, how to log in, how to access the courses that you want to have. So, that's something that can be distributed to your mailing list.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: I'll speak in Spanish. First, let me tell you that I know the platform. It was good for me. I gave many talks in different areas. It was good for me to provide a reference when somebody asks me, "How can I participate?" It is so easy.

I just send an e-mail, saying, "You need to login. Register. It's easy. I recommend this and that course." I've received very good replies.

Now, I particularly have concerns for two new courses. I thought about two courses. I think both of them were approved. I believe one of them was but wasn't implemented. One is leadership training. Somebody

said there is a leadership training program. I don't really remember the name, but it happens before each ICAN meeting, as it will happen in Kobe.

I am not thinking about this leadership training because this is [not] for leaders. The training is actually for those who have never been leaders and, in their jobs, they have never led anything. So, perhaps they may be chosen as ALAC members or as EURALO Chairs, and, when they get there, they can't really lead the group because they are not trained. It's not because they lack any skill but actually lack the training.

So, I think it would be convenient to have the course [as is]. The introduction was such-and-such for ICANN Learn to level the playing field, and then they were given a specific course in project administration or project management – please give me one minute more – and the other one was conflict management.

We lawyers usually are engaged in meditation, but I don't want to mediate. I was thinking about a mediation course with a different mission, where each of us were not mediators but actually Part A and Part B in a conflict so that we can finally understand and manage a conflicting talk within the ALAC or within any other groups.

We need to understand that we need to compromise to be able to reach something. Well, that is mediation. A mediator, a facilitator, directs, and they, too can finally reach an agreement. But, what I want is for those of us to know how to manage Part A and Part B, how to lead them. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS:

Thank you, Alberto. I appreciate your questions and your comments. Also, I tend to talk too fast, so if you guys want to tell me to slow down at any point, I will welcome that.

Fortunately, we have anticipated your comments. So, this policy development effectiveness course that Cheryl was referring to that came out of that additional budget request covers a lot of those topics. So, it's covering negotiation. It's covering conflict management. It's covering a little bit of facilitation and also consensus building and how to build consistent consensus when individuals in the group seem a little stubborn.

So, it covers a lot of those topics, but, in addition to that, you might remember Sally speaking the other day about how they just instigated a pilot survey in several regions to ask what the specific needs are in terms of soft skills or in terms of knowledge building. This is something that we're starting to see on those surveys, and, as a result of that, several months ago, Sally and I had a discussion about rolling out on courses on exactly these topics that you've brought up.

So, I can't promise that it will happen soon. I have a recently-reduced budget, and I'm doing the best that I can with it. I promise that I'm working really hard to put out as many good quality courses that will be as helpful as possible.

But, just to assure you, this is on the list and not just directed towards leadership but towards everyone who want to participate so that ICANN

participants can make the most out of the time and opportunities that they have.

Also, just a point of clarification. The leadership program is one time a year, and it happens at the March meeting. So, it will be in Kobe, but it's not at every meeting.

[ALBERTO SOTO]: I can collaborate.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. We have Joanna, and the queue is closed.

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you very much. First of all, I wanted to congratulate on the program. You know I'm a fan of ICANN Learn. But, I remember you mentioning that you're involved in various other projects. If it's okay – I know it's the last question – I wanted to link to one of those. You mentioned that you're involved in the History of the Internet project. I was wondering if there was a segment that's devoted to and advertising this idea throughout the meetings. There's the DNS Women's Lunch, for example, where I had a chance to meet with female leaders of the group here. I was wondering if there's a thread devoted to what I would like to call the Mothers of the Internet. So, is there a history thread that's devoted to the women because there's so much talk about Fathers of the Internet, and it always strikes me –

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We could find [inaudible].

JOANNA KULESZA: Yes, exactly. We might find a few –

MAUREEN HILYAD: [inaudible] Kathy Kleiman.

JOANNA KULESZA: I've been talking to Kathy Kleiman already. So, I'm wondering if there is a thread in development, and I am glad that this gender diversity issue is also considered in the leadership of the History and ICANN Learn program.

So, it's just a pitch I wanted to make here in the forum. I'm happy to hear your thoughts and I'm happy to get involved if there is any way in which I can help because I know there is always a resource problem that's involved in any idea or any thread. So, just a heads up. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Joanna. I appreciate that. For a little bit of feedback, Joanna and I have had very long and painful experience advocating for use of the platform and trying to collaborate between her university and ICANN Learn. It's been a struggle. So, Joanna's continued support of the platform is really welcome. I appreciate it.

So, about the history project, a point of clarification: it's the history of ICANN, rather than the history of the Internet, although there are a lot of really great history of the Internet resources out there that I can help connect you with if you're interested. Kathy Kleiman is obviously another great resource there.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible]

BETSY ANDREWS: Yeah. So, it's strange coming into the world, but I actually have a PhD in gender theory. So, when I go back to report this to my group, I'm really glad to have a community member to support the notion. I think that would be a great thread for the history program, but I do know it's not one of the current ones in the works. There are about three yet to be produced.

In many cases, those videos and those segments and those research projects have already been done, but as with many processes, they need to go through translation and they need to go through legal. So, there's a lot of history project material that is yet to be launched, but I think a track on female leaders would be great.

I would draw your attention to a really awesome interview with Esther Dyson that's already up there. That's well-worthwhile, but I will also return your feedback to my team, and we'll see where it goes.

JOANNA KULESZA: Great.

ALAN GREENBERG: I hope that the interview mentioned she was an ALAC member.

BETSY ANDREWS: I think it does.

ALAN GREENBERG: Maureen, any final comments? We're going to try to give four minutes or so to Yrjo. But, do you have any final comments?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No. I'm just very grateful for the contributions. And, I'm sure that Betsy has really appreciated the [inaudible]. We will continue to collaborate. We've got lots of [inaudible]

BETSY ANDREWS: Thanks, Maureen, and thank you, everybody. I actually have one question –

ALAN GREENBERG: Before, if I may, it's just been pointed out that we have another 15 minutes to this meeting that I wasn't aware of. So, before we let you go, I'll reopen the queue because I know there were one or two people who were trying to speak and I have the wrong ending time.

BETSY ANDREWS: Being given time back is such an amazing luxury at an ICANN meeting. I would like to ask a question, and then I would welcome any more of your questions. That is, in your preparation for the ALTAS 3, are you thinking that you want people to build their capacity with topics that will already be on ICANN Learn, like policy and DNS fundamentals and this sort of thing, or are you thinking that you want some custom content that you will generate in order to make available on the platform?

Both are options. I just don't know what you have in mind.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. We have three people in the queue, by the way, right now. Let's close it at this point for people. We're closing it.

Was that something you were asking for input before we continue.

BETSTY ANDREWS: We'll follow up on that. That's for the record.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Fine. Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Thank you. I just wanted to support and reiterate what was previously said about the need to have facilitation skills, negotiations skills, impasse breaking skills, and all of those things I'm very happy to hear that're in your queue. I am hoping that there's something the

community can do to push that up the prioritization line because I think it's really, really important. Anybody who wants to get involved in any kind of working group really should be taking some of those. It would help. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have Hadia, Holly, and Sebastien. The queue was closed. Hadia?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: So, thank you for this wonderful presentation. As I can see, coming soon are some courses. One of them is a revised registrar training. That's a business-oriented course. Actually, I think what we're looking for more from our region, Africa, is more of business-oriented workshops because you always hear – I'm leading a center called the Domain Name System Entrepreneurship Center, and we tend to do workshops in the Middle East, Africa, and Egypt, of course. What I tend to hear always is that we have lots of technical workshops on DNS operations and DNSSEC operations, but what we want now and what we strive for is business-oriented workshops, like marketing workshops and business case workshops.

I think this is where we struggle because we made a couple of marketing workshops and business-oriented workshops but we would always ask for ICANN to provide us with an instructor. We don't have actually material that we can use.

So, it's like personal efforts and not necessarily leading to the best results that we would like to have. So, maybe that's what I would like to

see: some business-oriented workshops. This also could be like customized workshops because I do understand that general business workshops might not work for underserved or areas where the business hasn't picked up yet. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I do ask people to keep their comments and replies short.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thanks, Hadia. I think that's good feedback. Two points on that. One, there is an ICANN for Business course on ICANN Learn that I would encourage you to check out because that might be something to encourage people to take. It covers some of those basic concepts.

Another part is that we have floated business course ideas in the past. They're not always directly connectable to the mission at ICANN. The needs for policy development and knowledge building have been prioritized above that sort of issue.

I think it would be a great thing to take to Pierre, being in charge of that region, and talk about how best to meet those needs. It may be that ICANN Learn is a good venue for that. It may be that there are other options that we should explore.

But, I think that's really good feedback, and I'm happy to work with my team members, potentially even to collaborate on that. So, it's certainly not ruled out as something that could be on ICANN Learn, but it's not on the immediate queue, to help clarify.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Holly?

We seem to have an interlude for a private discussion.

HOLLY RAICHE: Two things. One is a suggestion and I know it sounds silly. But, a lesson in the social media that ICANN uses so that, if people aren't using particular techniques that you're using, a way to use that would be really good because it would tie in with what John is doing as well.

And then, a history thing. In light of the RSSAC037, their whole new governance structure, just for history – I hadn't realized it – the rules that they follow are Jon Postel's from 20 years ago. So, it'd be to actually say who the hell was he and what were the rules because they're about to be replaced or not. Thanks.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Holly. There is more upcoming information about Jon Postel and various other elements in the history project, so that will be welcome, I know.

In terms of social media training, that would be an interesting thing to discuss with the communications department. I don't know that ICANN Learn is necessarily the right venue for that, but I could obviously ask them.

It may be, too that you would want to invite somebody from Comms to join a call or to join a future meeting to do a primer in the social media that ICANN uses.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have Sebastien. I was told Ricardo put his card up that I missed, so we'll go into him. Sebastien first, please.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you. Betsy, thank you for your question. I would like to suggest that it could be very important to have some knowledge of where we are coming from from an end user perspective. I am struck that, when we have new people, we forget about it or we don't know about it. We are sometimes redoing the same things. For example, for ATLAS 3, it could be useful to know what happened at ATLAS 1 and ALTAS 2, and that could be a good way through ICANN Learn. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Sebastien.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. Ricardo, please?

RICARD HOLMQUIST: Thank you. Just a point of ATLAS 3, as to your question. One that I guess that will be very needed is teamwork. I didn't hear it mentioned before, but most of the work will be in teams, and not everybody knows how to do teamworking. It's very easy to put a course on that. Thank you.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you, Ricardo. That's actually one of the models that we have in mind, so it's very important to hear your feedback. I will endeavor to do what I can to make sure that comes out on the platform before your meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Betsy. We have ten minutes left in this session. I'm told we can go over by a little bit. I'd like to spend five minutes for Yrjo on the GAC preparation, and then we have ten minutes for Maureen on something I'm not sure about.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: ATLAS.

ALAN GREENBERG: ATLAS.

BETSY ANDREWS: Thank you for having me. Feel free to reach out and be in touch if you have any questions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yrjo?

YRJO LANSIPURO: Thank you, Alan. We had Ana Neves from the GAC yesterday coming to us to speak. I'm very glad, first of all, that we have now a GAC liaison to the ALAC, but also that Ana's attitude, as everybody heard, was very positive to the cooperation with ALAC, and especially her activities in the sense that what she said was not just having joint sessions and talking about things but actually doing things together, and also that ALAC and GAC, if we agree on something that should be done, we don't need to be reactive. We can actually be proactive. We can take initiative and push our own joint agenda if there is one.

So, I think that today's agenda at the joint session's first item, like so many other times before, is the gTLD. But, this time – [this is what Ana said there] – we are not talking about the nitty gritty of the geographic indications but rather whether the hole thing is needed. That is to say, who needs new gTLDs and how fast?

In this regard, of course, there's good background in the CCT Review final report. I expect, of course, that to be a lively discussion.

My next point is on the EPDP. I think that Alan and others who are on that PDP know what is the joint work. For instance, the interests of the GAC and ALAC come together and we can discuss that.

Then, the third point is the follow-up to the joint statement by ALAC and GAC, which was issued in Abu Dhabi, ICANN 60. It's on the screen. It has been sent to all travelers and, I guess, those ALAC members who were not present. I haven't seen any objections. So, I hope that that can be sort of [balanced] and approved by both colleagues at that joint meeting and then, [AOP]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. On this particular stamen, as Yrjo said, we have not received any people saying that they object to it or asking for changes. Therefore, it will be on the agenda on Wednesday for approval. Staff can note that, please.

Someone. We have a nod? Okay. Thank you.

And, I'm assuming that the GAC will be approving it at that point as well – Yrjo, if you could turn off your microphone. Yrjo? Thank you.

I'm a little bit confused. I thought that what Ana was suggesting that we talk for the full 45 minutes on the gTLD issues. Are we in fact doing that, or are we diving the time as you just indicated? I thought that there was a change in direction on the way.

YRJO LANSIPURO:

No. I think that this is the – what I said is that the agenda has been approved by both sides. Of course, I think the bulk of that time will be certainly spent on the gTLDs. It really depends on how much – and the EPDP can be short if needed.

Finally, to approve this statement doesn't take much time. So, basically the agenda is as it is. But, the bulk of the substance will certainly be this sort of discussion about whether this new round is needed and when. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. If indeed we both believe that the direction should be changed, how do we do that, perhaps?

Any further comments on the GAC meeting?

We have Marita, and then we'll go on to Maureen and ATLAS. Marita, please?

MARITA MOLL: Just a quick question. I don't know whether there is unanimity around this table about the new gTLDs or whether there should be or not. Have we had a discussion about that?

ALAN GREENBERG: We've had many discussions. I don't think we've ever taken a formal vote. There's clearly divided views. I'm not sure there's anyone around this table that is saying there's a strong reason for a wide-open round. There's certainly people around this table who would push heavily for access to certain types of gTLDs.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. Thanks. I haven't been part of those discussions, so I just wanted to know that.

ALAN GREENBERG: If that's wrong, then you'll have an opportunity to say so at that meeting, but my general sense of the overall community is that we would push heavily for geo –well, a city if not geo. I think there's been a general acceptance that, if there's a huge demand for brand domains, fine. We don't much care, but it wouldn't impact us to allot either. So, that's the sense that I've gotten in general in previous discussions.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. Just to clarify, you said that we would push for city or geo new TLDs but not necessarily brands. Is that what I'm hearing? Sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: No. what I said is that I've sensed that there is a specific interest in this group for things like city TLDs. I'm not sure that's the exact definition. We've never had that discussion. And, I don't think we would object to brands, but I haven't heard a lot of demand in our community for the generic "have a wide-open round" and another 2,000 TLDs.

MARITA MOLL: Yeah. I would agree with that. I just haven't been hearing a lot of people around the table talking about it. So, if everybody is cool with that, then I'm cool with it. But, I just don't know what we're saying.

ALAN GREENBERG: No. I'm not in a position to say what At-Large wants right now. You asked me what is the sense I have of the community and on the average. That's what my sense is. It's not 100% everyone. There are other people with different views. I suggest Sebastien may be one of them. I don't know. We're going to give him a chance to talk because he really, really wants to, but then we have to go on to ATLAS.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: It's very short, Mr. Chair. It's just to say that we are also discussing about community TLDs. That's an important point we need to take into account for At-Large.

ALAN GREENBERG: Taken. I forgot that, yes.

CHERYL LANGDONOR: Mr. Chairman, IDNs –

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm turning it over to Maureen so she can arbitrate whether she needs her session or this one. But, please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. I wish to simply add the term "IDNs," which has been supported by this community back in 2007 through to 2012.

It'd be remiss of us to not at least look at that as well. Thank you, Joanna.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Okay, is that finished? Can I ...

ALAN GREENBERG: It's yours.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Thank you. This is a very brief introduction to what we're going to be doing later in with regards to ATLAS 3.

Now, I know that there is really concern that there is no information coming out, and this is our opportunity over the next few days to get some information to you.

One of the stumbling blocks for us for moving forward, I think, has been the criteria for how we're going – that's been the main talking point. What are the criteria that we're going to use for choosing the participants?

So, what we're going to be doing in our lunchtime workshop is we're going to working, we're going to be brainstorming in working groups, and this groups is actually going to create and develop the criteria. That's going to be the priority for that particular working group so that the criteria will actually be developed here. We'll get some ideas, and then we'll get a working group that will actually collate all those ideas

after they've been explained about what's important and why so that we've got something that we can actually move on with.

Once we've got that – I know I'm asking Olivier, because he and Eduardo are in charge of the programming thing about what they're actually proposing – we're going to be sitting the working groups and calling for memberships. But, I'll leave that to Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maureen. So, just briefly, we've spoken earlier of several working groups that are going to be created to prepare for ATLAS 3. The one that I'm in charge of is the Program Committee, and that sort of looks at the overall program. The work that Eduardo have done so far is to look at the actual overall sheet of block schedule that we had at our disposal thanks to Gisella having worked already with ICANN Meetings. As you know, that's one thing that we needed to work on extremely early so as to give an idea to the ICANN Meetings department on what number of rooms we needed in Montreal, how many plenary sessions we had, how many workshop sessions we had, etc.

None of the stuff inside the program itself is decided yet. We're just looking at the block schedule. So, that's the first thing.

The second thing is the timeline. Here, we have to work backwards. So, Eduardo and I haven't looked at the whole thing, saying, "Right. Montreal is at such-and-such a date." Looking back, we have a number of time deadlines, especially as far as travelers are concerned. So, we've

been provided with details on this. Gisella is giving the number. Is it five months or something?

GISELLA GRUBER: The fifth of July is when the list needs to be submitted.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Fifth of July. Well, here we go. Now, we've got a deadline date for knowing who's going to have to travel. Then, we have to move back from that. The fifth of July, 2019 is not that far away at all.

So, from there, we had to work out really what needs to be ready by when and what did we want participants to do by when. Well, we don't yet what we want them to do. This is something that's going to have to be discussed here. But, what we do know is that they need to be done with what they have to do by the fifth of July, and we need to know, especially as far as the criteria is concerned, who can be selected. I think the selection might need to take place even earlier than that. But, I'll leave you guys to discuss this over the lunchtime session.

So, that's how we're doing it. Eduardo is going to produce a timeline, I think. Have you worked on it yet?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I've started, but I didn't finish, so ... But, anyhow –

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You can't play music and be on the timeline at the same time.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. But, the July 5th deadline is a major milestone, so we have to do whatever we're going to do for the criteria before that. Way before that. So, we have to start soon.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thanks, Eduardo. So, that group, the work of which Maureen will unload at lunchtime, is going to work with the criteria.

The other group, the Program Committee and so on, hasn't started work because, as you see, where just at the very beginning. So, the next steps are going to be to call for candidates, for people to be on the working groups. I understand that there'll be a call for candidates also for travel. But, these two things will take place in parallel, and it's still all very much in the air at the moment.

We're hoping to do this by the end of the meeting, hopefully. I think that this is the way forward, so the kickoff will be then.

The web pages, the wiki pages, Gisella has worked and has just made a copy of the ATLAS 2 pages framework. So, they're not ready yet. There's pretty much nothing in there.

So, the moment that there is a workable set of wiki pages that can make sense – and, when we create the groups formally – that will move forward.

I understand that some mailing lists will be created for the subgroups. At the moment, there is a mailing list just for the leadership team so that

we don't just e-mail each other. At least there's a record of all the discussions and things. I think I've seen one e-mail on that so far. It was just a welcome. But, that's it. So, it's still very early moments.

As you understand, there's been so many other things going on. Until very recently, we didn't even know what we were going to get as far as the funding is concerned.

Finally, on the topic of funding, we've had a number of discussions. I've actually met someone from Microsoft yesterday in the room. We came over to the AFRALO/AfrICANN meeting. They seemed to be quite eager in supporting our community. I understand that we can also go to our sponsors from ATLAS 2.

Again, we'll have to work –

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, please shorten so we have time for the queue.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Again, we'll have to work in parallel on the group for sponsorship to produce kind of a sponsorship package. What are we looking for, and what can they help us with? That's it. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have in the queue Sebastien, Tijani, and Sergio. We have four minutes before the translation people have to leave, and we're already delaying the next meeting to give them time for a break.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: They're not translation people. They're interpretation people. They will interpret what you're saying.

ALAN GREENBERG: Interpretation people. I'm sorry. Thank you for using another 30 seconds.

One-minute timer. Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you very much. We have a life outside ICANN. If the meeting hours are changing constantly, it's very difficult to do so. I think we are going to lose a lot of time to establish criteria. We are working with a lot of people who are working also in the RALO. I think it should be better to see who we are going to select. It should be better than to choose some criteria.

I hope we won't call candidates to come into the working group. There are some people in Montreal that we need to include. I don't know if they are going to be a candidate, but, if not, we need to go and ask them.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. I am really sorry that the 15 minutes dedicated to ATLAS 3 in this session weren't used for ATLAS 3.

I am supposed not to be here for Session #11 and Session #12 because I will be in the Budget Working Group. So, I will not attend the workshop.

I sent three times, or two times, mail asking to be on two groups of the ATLAS. The first is the Program. The second is the Criteria. I will not be present during the workshop. I returned my request for that. I hope that the formation of the groups will be very transparent, not under the ground. Very transparent. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Can I just respond there? Tijani, I don't quite understand. Aren't the budget meetings tomorrow?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And Thursday. Tomorrow and Thursday.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. But, this meeting is today.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, but the meeting we're having is today. The budget meetings are tomorrow and Thursday.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, okay. Well, you're going to some meetings that I don't know about.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Today, I sent an e-mail, Maureen. Today, the Budget Working Group is meeting between 10:30 and 13:30.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] going. All right?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's either he's right or he's wrong, but we can't change the fact. So, can we have someone please check the main schedule?

Sergio, please?

Sergio? Sergio did not have his hand up. Okay.

SERGIO PORTO: I'm sorry, Alan. I had not requested the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: My right-hand person apparently –

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I saw him.

ALAN GREENBERG: -- misunderstood.

Maureen, it's yours. Then, we are done. Thank you all. Thank you to the interpretation staff, who have given us another few minutes.

Apparently, we're not done. Sorry to the interpretation staff who are not done. We are now past the extra time we were given.

Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. So, Vanda has already come forward to volunteer for the groups and so on. I know a lot of people want to volunteer for the groups. The easiest way is to do it by e-mail because, right now, I've got so many things going on. So, by e-mail will be the easiest, and then we'll have them in the working groups. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm told we are really finished now. Thank you all. We're supposed to reconvene at 10:30. It will be at 10:35.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]