

---

BARCELONA – ALAC and Regional Leaders Working Session (1 of 13)

Saturday, October 20, 2018 – 08:30 to 10:15 CEST

ICANN63 | Barcelona, Spain

MAUREEN HILYARD:

So, there's the EPDP and I know the ALAC people will probably be going to that and definitely Javier and his ALAC team will be away for the work track five. It's really, really neat to have you all here. It's my very first session, so [inaudible] everyone. I hope I make it through the day. I have a team of guys here whom you're going to see quite a lot of in the coming year supporting me, as there are others who aren't here. I am so thrilled to be here. I'm really ... Hi, Amrita.

We're going to make a start on the day. It's a little bit late and I do want to get through a few things before I know that Javier and his team have to leave. So, first things first. Housekeeping. There are some important issues that I think we all need to know about before we even start the event, before we even get around to introducing each other to each other. So, I will pass that over to Gisella. Thank you. [inaudible]

GISELLA GRUBER:

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to ICANN 63 in Barcelona. We do have a few new faces or even no new faces. It's always good to remind everyone a few housekeeping rules. So, to start off with, in the ALAC sessions we have interpretation in English, Spanish, and French as we do have French and Spanish speakers. Please make sure to use your headset. We have our interpreters sitting in the booth behind us. They will be with us all week, the whole week. Yes, very much a round

---

**Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.**

---

of applause, please. They do a fantastic job. In order to make their life easy and to maximize the interpretation, could you please make sure to state your names whenever you speak? They don't know who you are and there are also people attending remotely, so please state your name every time you speak. Please also speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation.

Also, if we could ask everyone to be on time when arriving, we'd like to start the sessions on time. We've got a very full agenda this whole week. Very many sessions to attend. We will be, also with the tent cards that you have in front of you, could you please make sure to take them with you or otherwise hand them back to staff? This will be our main meeting room throughout the week and I'll be sending every afternoon a list of the meetings for the following day, not only our sessions but as well as the main session with any useful information on social events on the gala evening, etc.

Then, there's also a few important housekeeping rules that I would like to hand over to Maureen. But, last point is, when you'd like to speak, please make sure to either use your tent cards if you're in the room which is always easier than using the Adobe Connect room. Maureen or the person dealing with the questions queue may not be looking at the questions queue may not be looking at Adobe Connect at that time. Please put your tent card up. And for those attending remotely, welcome. Please do raise your hand in the Adobe Connect room. That's as far as I'll go for now. I will remind everyone if we're not sticking to the rules. And I will pass it on to Maureen. Thank you.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Gisella. One of the ... You may have seen in a lot of our messages that metrics is going to feature majorly from now on for various reasons. But, attendance at our sessions is going to be quite important. So, we're going to be taking attendance at the beginning of each session, so that if you are going to be late or something, please let staff know. I think within ICANN this whole accountability thing is really rearing its head, so we need to make sure that we're complying, so that's going to be a major feature.

Also, with interventions, we're going to be a little bit more strict on interventions so that we can actually do the work that we have to do. There's going to be a timer.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Can we have her send it? Do you want to have her send it?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. We'll have Yesim indicate what it's going to sound like, which means shut up. So, we'll have the timer. Agenda items will be timed and we'll try to stick to those as much as we can. Interventions will be two minutes. So, when you hear the signal, please just finish the sentence and try to wind it up as soon as you can.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Sebastien has his hand raised.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:                    Sebastien, I see your card is up.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:            Thank you. I want to apologize to have been late, but I would have been very happy to learn that for the first time in an ICANN meeting you need to have your badge before entering to a building where ICANN is meeting. It's a bad precedent. I don't think that we deserve this security level of scrutiny. Once again, it used to be a time where we didn't want to put our own name. We put another name and we were able to come to an ICANN meeting. Now you need to show your ID card. I am very annoyed with that and I am very annoyed that we didn't get this information that we need ten minutes more before the meeting to be on time. Thank you. And it's nothing ... Just to be clear, nothing that the staff of At-Large must have done. It's something that the ICANN global staff for the meeting must have been doing, done before this meeting. They must have tell us about all those tricky things. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:                    Thank you, Sebastien. I know. I think that's very appropriate to record and pass on to the meetings team, perhaps. I know that, for example, when we came in early to do some meetings, we weren't allowed into the building.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, if I may. Just for the record, Sebastien, I think this has been since Marrakech that we've had to do this. I think that even with the recent attacks last year in Barcelona, I personally feel very safe that everyone here has a badge and that we checked who we are. We haven't been, as staff, allowed in the building if we didn't have our badge since we arrived on Thursday and I just think for the precedent last year, we've had our security briefing. It's just good to know that we all know who is with us here, but it has been since Marrakech. Thank you. But, I will take this up to make sure that it is announced to participants maybe on the welcome e-mail. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think, too, that there are lots of new people who come. They need to have that reminder somewhere so that even new people get to understand what the systems are. It's a reminder for ICANN. That's fine. Oh, action item, please, staff. Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: Doing a follow-up comment. So, this is a follow-up comment. We had to send an e-mail and we have to have received an e-mail to get into the venue, but I didn't receive that e-mail, so that is a comment, an observation for the meeting team to take into account. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm sorry. By the time I had actually got my headset on, I missed the whole thing. Alberto? No?

---

ALBERTO SOTO: When entering the venue, we have to submit an e-mail and we need a confirmation. We need to send a confirmation to the registration e-mail but I did not receive any e-mail. That's why I was not able to access the venue before and I was late.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. I think that probably means that we need to just formalize our entry, just the registration systems and have it a little bit more explained, so it makes it easier for us.

I'm more than aware that there are some people ... I'm really thrilled to see so many people here now. What we're going to do is I'd like to, every one of us, to sort of perhaps introduce ourselves to each other. You might get a sentence or two about what it is that you do and where you're from. A little introduction about yourself, so that we all get to see who's here, who they are, and so you can identify each other a little bit more. This is going to be the big team that we're going to have for At-Large over the next year or so. I think we might start with Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Hi, my name is Jonathan Zuck. I'm with the Innovators Network Foundation. I am part of the Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG). If you want to get more engaged in policy, please come see me. Thanks.

---

WALE BAKARE: Hello, good morning. This is Wale Bakare, EURALO secretariat. Thank you so much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Hello. Olivier Crepin-LeBlond and I'm the chair of EURALO next to my right, EURALO secretariat.

DANIEL NANGKAHA: Thank you very much. For the transcript purposes, I'm Daniel Nangkaha, chair for Outreach and Engagement. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Good morning. Glenn McKnight, secretariat for NARALO and I brought kisses. I was thinking of Vanda. We are having a booth, since I got the mic. Please sign up for some time for the booth. The booth is right beside the registration. There's a TV and we'll have a laptop with pictures and a little bit about ourselves as well. I am on the ISOC board and I've passed around to everyone. I'm the chair for NomCom, so if anyone is interested in participating in the NomCom with ISOC, check with me. That's it.

HAROLD ARCOS: Harold Arcos, incoming LACRALO secretariat from [inaudible].

KAILI KAN: Hi, my name is Kaili Kan, ALAC member from China. Thank you.

---

**BASTIAAN GOSLINGS:** Good morning, everyone. Bastiaan Goslings, from the Netherlands and ALAC member for EURALO since the Copenhagen meeting. I joined as ... I was a board member of the Dutch Internet Society at the time. I work for the Amsterdam Internet Exchange, responsible for regulatory affairs and compliance. Thank you.

**MARITA MOLL:** Good morning. It's Marita Moll. I'm from Ottawa, Canada, and here for Telecommunities Canada. I'm the incoming ALAC rep for NARALO.

**TIJANI BEN JEMAA:** Tijani Ben Jemaa. I am a member of ALAC on behalf of AFRALO.

**BARTLETT MORGAN:** Good morning, everybody. I am Bartlett Morgan, LACRALO, [inaudible] Jamaica. I guess at this point I should say I'm from the Caribbean because I've lived all over the place. So, continuing ALAC member from LACRALO. I'm happy to be here. Take care.

**JOHN LAPRISE:** I'm John Laprise. I'm a NARALO ALAC member. In my day job, I also am the market research manager for the Radiological Society North America which is the global organization for radiologists, so my day job is not Internet related.



---

ALBERTO SOTO: Good morning. My name is Alberto Soto. I am manager of the [InterAmerican] Institute, and this is a very long name so I'm not going to finish with a name. I am ALAC member, outgoing ALAC member, representing LACRALO. So, I would like to thank you all and I'm here to help you. Thank you.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Good morning. I am Ricardo Holmquist. I am an ALAC member elected by the NomCom for Latin America and the Caribbean.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Good morning, everyone. I am Maureen Hilyard. I'm from the Cook Islands. I don't work in the area of the Internet very much, although just before I left the Cook Islands, I actually signed a contract to do the ICT strategy for the Cook Islands which is probably the first time I've ever had to do anything to do with the Internet on the islands. I will actually be involved a little bit and incorporating a lot of the sort of stuff that we have been doing that I've been engaged in here, so wow. Okay, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone. I'm Heidi Ullrich. I'm the lead for a wonderful team of At-Large support and welcome very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, everyone. I am Silvia Vivanco. I am from Lima, Peru and I am Senior Manager Regional Affairs. Welcome. Thank you.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning. Gisella Gruber. I live in the UK. I'm not from the UK. I manage the support team. Yesim here on my right, and Andrea and Claudia who aren't here with us in this room. I'd like to wish you a very warm welcome again. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Welcome, all. My name is Yesim Nazlar. I am from Istanbul, Turkey. I'm the senior At-Large support staff. I think that's pretty much it. Thank you.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Hi, all. I'm Evin Erdogan based in the office with Yesim. I'm Turkish American and primarily working with policy development support activities. Thanks.

[MARY JOLIE]: Hello. I represent an ALS which is called [eSenor] within EURALO. My name is [Mary Jolie]. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Hello, everyone. Sebastien Bachollet and I've been at ICANN for quite a while, maybe for too long. So, please, don't get upset with me, but it is most likely that during the week I will say things that I take to heart that are very important for me. You may not always agree with me, but I believe that diversity is absolutely essential. So, you will see I will start

---

doing this very quickly. I'm an ALAC member. I represent EURALO and my first request will be ... Actually, I'm going to switch languages.

We are in a country where people speak [inaudible] and Spanish, and for my friends, my English-speaking friends, I believe that they have to make an effort for their speed. I mean, they do not have to speak very fast. I mean, they need to speak slowly and they have to use clear words because we can take interpretation, but if we don't have interpretation, we need to understand and in order to understand comments in English, those English speakers do not have the same accent. They don't speak exactly the same English. But they believe or they think that, as we do speak English, we can understand. But we have to make an effort. That's why I am speaking Spanish very bad. But, in any case, I want to show you that you have to make a great effort to speak other languages. Thank you.

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Yrjo Lansipuro from ISOC Finland. I'm the ALAC liaison to the Governmental Advisory Committee. Thank you.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Good morning. Ali AlMeshal from Bahrain. I'm the APRALO vice chair. My working field is in digital business, so it's more to the Internet. Thank you.

---

SARAH KIDEN: Good morning, everyone. My name is Sarah Kiden. I am the AFRALO secretariat. Thank you.

DAVE KISSOONDOYAL: Hello, everyone. This is Dave Kissoondoyal from AFRALO. I hope I could speak the Spanish language as well because I feel Spanish is a very romantic language. Thank you.

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Good morning. I am Oksana Prykhodko. I am from Ukraine European Media Platform. Our organization initiated a Ukrainian IGF in 2010 and this year we organized [inaudible].

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Good morning. I am going to speak in Spanish. My name is Sergio Salinas Porto. I am from LACRALO. After this meeting, I will be the chair of the region. Thank you.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Good morning, everyone. My name is Adrian Carballo. I come from Argentina. I am the chair of the [inaudible] Foundation. I would like to tell you that I am the co-founder of the School of Internet. This year, we celebrate our 10<sup>th</sup> anniversary and we [inaudible] people in Latin America and the Caribbean and we have launched a book. This is “Governance and Regulations in Latin America and the Caribbean.” This is the first book covering these topics in the region. Thank you.

---

**SATISH BABU:** Good morning. My name is Satish Babu and I chair APRALO. I am a volunteer with ISOC IGF and [inaudible] ICANN. Coincidentally, I am a co-founder of the India School of Internet Governance, like Adrian here. I live in India and in my day job I run an IT company with offices in the US, Japan, and India. Thank you.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** Eduardo Diaz from the NARALO region. I am the chair. I am from the Internet Society of Puerto Rico. I preside that organization there. I do consulting in information systems. That's my main job. Thank you.

**JUSTINE CHEW:** Good morning. I've been asked to introduce myself. I'm Justine Chew. I'm the individual member from APRALO. Second time in face-to-face ICANN meeting. I don't work in the Internet industry. I am actually a corporate litigation lawyer in my native, Malaysia, but I have always had an interest in Internet, in domain name policies. So, I work quite extensively in PDPs in ICANN. Thanks.

**MAUREEN HILYARD:** Is there anyone who would like to introduce?

---

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hello. [inaudible] from [Guinea]. This is my second time in an ICANN meeting. I am interested in all the digital aspects of the Internet. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello, everyone. I am [inaudible]. I am from Germany and I work for [inaudible]. I'd like to give [inaudible] rerun the European Summer School.

[ANDREW]: Hello, everyone. I am [Andrew]. I come from Taiwan and I work for Internet commerce. Nice to meet you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, thank you, everyone. I think that one of the really neat things about our organization is that we are sort of diverse. The backgrounds that we all come from really do add value to the discussions that we have. I know that people like Olivier and Jonathan no doubt were keeping tabs on what people were doing, what interest areas that you might have that might be of value to the work that we do within the policy area and the CPWG. So, welcome. Welcome to ICANN 63. I hope you have a really enjoyable week. I know that there's quite a lot happening during this week. I guess you've been online to have a look at the schedule that we have for the ALAC. I'd like to just ... Looking at, for example, the key things that we'll be following this week for us as a group.

---

The main areas will be, as well as any CPWG work with Olivier and Jonathan, and the Outreach and Engagement Working Group with Daniel and his co-chairs. The main areas, other areas, of course will be the At-Large Review Implementation Plan which there have been developments even over the last few days, which hopefully will make the activity that we're involved in a lot more manageable.

So, we should be able to work on quite a lot of that during the week in a face-to-face and hopefully get most of the work done during this time. So, keep that in mind.

Also, there will be ... Would you like to introduce yourself, seeing as that you're here? Welcome.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Hello. Can I do it in Spanish? Good morning. I apologize for being late, but the jetlag is still affecting me. It's 2:00 AM for me now. My name is Humberto Carrasco. I'm from Chile. So far, I am the LACRALO chair. When this meeting ends, I am going to be an ALAC member, so thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Humberto, and welcome. The other areas are, of course, going to be the At-Large Review Implementation and ATLAS-3. Now, there's going to be quite a lot of discussion about in relation to ATLAS-3. You are aware that there are some constraints for us in comparison to the last ATLAS that we held. So, as I mentioned before about the metrics. That's going to be ... We're going to use metrics because in

---

order to make better decision about how we – and to be consistent about how we decide on who will be among the selected 60 invitees. This is not counting the ALAC members or anyone else who will be going anyway, but that there will ... So, those are sorts of things that we'll be looking at and we'll be discussing these as a group.

I see a card up there. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maureen. I wanted to just mention two things. Or, actually, mention one thing and ask a question. The first is to do with the schedule. You will have seen that it's on the page on the screen. Well, not anymore, but it was there a second ago in the chat. But, it's not the most simple of URLs to type in your browser, and of course getting to the starting page is another problem. So, for those people that are not used to this, the [atlarge.icann.org](http://atlarge.icann.org) – At-Large in one word, [dot-icann-dot-org](http://dot-icann-dot-org) – on the right-hand side of the page has actually got the latest news and latest activities and it's got here “see the At-Large ICANN 62 schedule”. That's the schedule that you will see on the right-hand side, on the right-hand screen, which is sometimes difficult to find.

JONATHAN ZUCK: 63.



---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Is it 63 now? Oh, well. As you can see, I haven't finished 62 yet. So, now we're in 63. Fair enough. So, here you'll then have the other way around. You'll have the link to the Adobe Connect then in that. That's a wealth of information that you've got. So, that was the thing I wanted to mention because I know there are a few new people around the table.

Second, I had a question for you. What is the protocol for asking for the floor? Would you prefer to have people to put their hand up in the Adobe Connect as I've done or putting your card up as I've done as well?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think we're preferring, of course, our traditional. Put the card up. I will try to keep track, but we will have someone who will. But, wave it around if you have to, to make sure that your name is recorded in the queue.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Maureen. One more thing, then. Get staff to check that there aren't any remote participants that wish to speak, then, if that's the case. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Yes. Yesim will be keeping tabs on that as well. She'll make sure we're informed. Thank you.

So, I'm just going through the activities. As you see, the schedule shows very clearly we're fine, once of course you locate this page where you will find what is on for each of those days. So, just skimming through

---

the items. For example, today, you'll notice that there are people going to be coming in and out of the room, the ALAC people, because they're involved in the EPDP face-to-face meetings and the sub pro work track five that Javier is leading, as their At-Large lead, so that those are going to involve people mainly from the ALAC who are going to be interested in attending those face-to-face meetings. We will be keeping track of people who are going to be in either of those meetings.

There's also going to be the regional leaders meeting today and Daniel has an Outreach and Engagement Working Group meeting as well. We've got visitors coming in to discuss the finance and budget overview as well as the new complaints officer. So, that's sort of like a schedule that the key items of people who are going to be with us today.

Tomorrow, we'll be looking at the At-Large review. That's one when we're going to be starting to look at that and it will be a working session, so we'll be going through a lot of the issued relating to that and you'll be updated about how we've decided to actually deal with that and it's not going to be as comprehensive as we originally thought, thank goodness. But, it does mean that we might be able to get through it a lot more quickly, but at the same time, try to see what's going to be involved in the next steps as well.

And there's going to be a more focused session on the CPWG where we're going to be looking at some issues there in depth with Jonathan and Olivier and we're going to have, again, visitors from SSAC, RSSAC, and some others. What day are we looking at? I haven't got the right glasses on.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH:                   That's Sunday.

MAUREEN HILYARD:            That's Sunday. Okay. So, if we can move to Monday.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:        Maureen, I understand why you are doing that, but I am really sorry. If we are prepared to this meeting, we know already all that and we need to dig into the substance. We have a lot to do with substance. If we spend too much time on process, we will be in trouble. Sorry for that. And I think if people are members of ALAC are participating and funded for that, they don't do their homework. A pity, but what we can do?

MAUREEN HILYARD:            Thank you, Sebastien. I think what I'm trying to do is actually just give an overview of some of the key things that I think it would be very handy to have, just to get some understanding of what is coming up. And we will definitely be going over, if anyone has any questions or queries about things that might be more necessary.

People, please ask questions, if you have any questions as we're going through. I'm probably going through a little bit quicker because we have got some other bits and pieces to do, but also to give people an opportunity to actually ask if there's anything that you need.

---

There's also going to be certain times, of course, where ... I'm sort of taking some of the sessions today because Alan is totally involved in the EPDP sessions today, but he will be taking over, of course, as the chair in a lot of the sessions that we have.

And although I know that we'd like to think that everybody has had an opportunity to have a look and dig through a lot of the schedule items that we've got, I also am aware they have their own lives and this is probably their first opportunity to really have a chance to go through some of these things. For those of you who have had a chance to do that, I really do thank you. But we do have to take into account that there are people who have been busy right up until the time they have to get here. Satish?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Maureen. In the spirit of cutting short the process [inaudible], I have a question about Friday. Friday has not been mentioned in the list of days on top of the sheet, but I was told there's a meeting on Friday. So, can you just tell us about that?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. That is interesting and I must admit I didn't think that the Friday program schedule would be up. it's a development program, right? I think that after each AGM the Friday is usually a development session which has been broken up into half the day is the RALO development session and the other half is the ALAC. But, because of the way that things have gone, it's a long week, and the sorts of things that

---

I would like to introduce to the team, I have actually made it a joint RALO and ALAC development session and that it's only a half a day, so that people, if they wanted to leave straightaway, they could do so in the afternoon.

Now, I am also aware that a lot of people didn't realize that they were part of the ... I think they were looking at it from the viewpoint of the traditional RALO development and traditional ALAC development sessions, so some people have actually didn't realize that they were part of that and arranged to return earlier. That's unfortunate, but sometimes it was due to the fact that it was the only flight that might have been available, but I would really appreciate if anyone who was still here on that Friday morning comes along because it is an opportunity for you and you and for me to explain what I see is how we might propose to basically carry out our duties with regards to our role or their role of At-Large within ICANN and I've been having some discussions with Cherine and a little discussion with Goran and others who just see how we can actually be as effective moving forward.  
Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Maureen, and thank you all about the issue of developing session. I think that it is an important session and it shouldn't be put as if possible you can attend because the travel plan doesn't take it into consideration. I want to remind everyone that I had difficulties to change my travel plan to attend this session because the Constituency Travel told me you have to pay the difference.

---

So, I think that, in the future, if we have such important session, we have to include it in the program, so that it will be taken into account by Constituency Travel. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

So, when we sent out the initial ... I know we get an overload of e-mails. I try to keep them as concise as possible, but when we sent out the initial "Are you able to attend ICANN 63?" there was the development day on Friday, so that was from day one, possibly not, as Maureen mentioned, for the additional people who have been added at a later stage.

Then, secondly, I specifically told Constituency Travel when I submitted the travel data the people who finished on the Friday at 12:00 PM, so I'm terribly sorry about that. I will pick it up with Constituency Travel again, but they were aware of all the people who had to stay, who were in a session until 12:00 that day, so apologies and it will be brought up. Thank you.

Gisella, again, because I've got your attention. We need to submit travel for ICANN 64, if I may. You will be getting an e-mail from me probably by Monday latest, not Friday like I sometimes do. We've got such a tight turnaround for this meeting that I'll send you the approved arrival and departure date, if you could just kindly let me know if you are able to make it to Kobe that we can deal with the travel slots if you're not able to make it. Thank you very much.

---

DAVE KISSOONDOYAL: In my country, which is Mauritius, we use Facebook a lot. Then I have a particular request from the ALS that I from that the sessions, especially those who are open if we can do Facebook live because Facebook gives a feature that allows remote viewers view the video exactly in live. I'm just asking at the start of the session whether I can get this authorized to do. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Dave. We'll look at that. Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: This time in English. Sorry, it will be bad most of the day. We heard a lot of things today. We heard just about dollars. It seems that part of this organization we have no trouble to hire more and more people, but we, as end users, we have more and more difficulty to do our job, unpaid job. We are limited on the number who will travel to the ATLAS, so-called ATLAS, because it is not anymore one representative per each ALS and that's a real pity. We are tied up with dollars with the fact that Friday is supposed to be a full – or it was supposed to be a full day of installation of the new bodies of this ICANN Organization and now it's half day and even some people can't be there. What have we have done to ICANN to have such bad treatment? We are the ones with the businesses who give all this money. We are the ones who buys the domain names and we are the ones really badly treated.

So, [inaudible] is to accept, and if you say that we need to accept and not say nothing, I will stop here. If we decide to say that we strongly

---

disagree with this way of doing, we need to say that to Goran. I am not sure that ... And nothing against them, the chair and the chair elect are able – or not able, they can, but willing or whatever the word you want to use. But to do that when they are in face-to-face with him. But I hope that collectively we can say our concern and disagreement. But it's up to you, not up to me. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yes. I don't know if this is the right time to have this conversation. We're sort of off on a tangent. I know that when we did the CCT Review, we ended up having a conversation with the CFO about having control over a budget. That may be the more productive conversation to have. Rather than going to Goran with the details of budget requests, try to negotiate for a lump sum for the At-Large activities and then manage our own processes internally to figure out how to allocate those funds. I think it's very unproductive to talk to Goran about all of the ALSes going to ATLAS or something like that, but instead taking on a budget, negotiating for a budget, that may need to contract because the organization itself is contracting. But you need to negotiate for a number and then we should take responsibility to figure out how best to spend that money. I think that's better than having a constant back and forth with them over the line items of the At-Large budget. That's just my opinion. Thanks.



---

MAUREEN HILYARD:                    Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:            Yeah, a short word. It's not a question of discussing with Goran of a line. Two examples. It's a political question, and this political question can't be discussed with the CFO. The CFO you will discuss with figures. With Goran, you will discuss policy. And what I am talking about here, it's not figured. It's policy. Why we are so badly treated in this organization? Full stop. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:                    Do you want to respond to that, Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK:                      Again, I think it's a longer conversation. I think if we deal with gross numbers and take responsibility ... I wasn't saying that we would deal with the CFO to establish the budget, but to manage it is what I was talking about. So, I think we need to have a bigger question with Goran about funds allocated to At-Large and not come at him with big generalizations about we're badly treated. Instead, it should be here's the budget and then try to protect that budget and then figure out how to allocate it internally, because we could make the decision to send everyone to ATLAS and take the money from somewhere else if that was really the priority. I think that's the way that we need to think about the budget, rather than saying now we can't send everyone and that means

---

that we're being badly treated. The fact that we're facing a budget cut overall, we ought to figure out how best to reallocate the funds rather than giving responsibility to ICANN management because that will never seem fair. That's my point. I don't know if we should keep going back and forth.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. Okay. Thank you both of you. I do realize that one of the things, items, in the implementation plan actually is what are some innovative ways in which we can fund At-Large. That is actually an issue. Perhaps that is something that this is where we can probably work as a group towards putting together some steps that we might ... But, that's something we can actually discuss within the At-Large implementation thing. It's just an idea. If it's something that we feel as a team that's what we should focus on, focus some attention on, then that's fine. But we've got two sides of that view, so let's look at how we might resolve that. I see Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO:

I believe that this has to do with the review but it is related to the topics we are talking with. We are to blame for something. For example, in ATLAS-2 in London, many of the ALS representatives were wandering, were just tourists in the city. So, we are not proving or showing what we did. Our ALSes are working really hard in the RALOs, but we do not have a list of tasks and we have a lot of things to do and we are doing a lot of things. The board doesn't know about this. If they knew about this, we wouldn't be so badly treated.

---

Then we had a meeting with the board, and in that meeting, I had to defend the issue of translation. At that time, Goran said that translation was an expense, was a cost, but if we prove, if we can show that we work really hard, that we have leaders who do not speak English or who do not speak another language, if they come to understand that we have indigenous languages and there are people working for ICANN, well we need to show, we need to prove that, because that is not seen at the board. We need to create a list for the board and we need to report those activities to the board. I mean, translation, interpretation is an investment, not an expense and we need to prove that. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alberto. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Maureen. Two things. First, on the shorter ICANN week or the ICANN week being shortened yet again after the meeting strategy group had made it back to being a longer AGM. I was told in corridors that in the last public consultation, the majority of the people in ICANN wanted the week to be shorter and felt that Friday was too much. I don't have access to the statement that we sent out with regards to that consultation but maybe we didn't make our point strongly enough.

Secondly, speaking to Goran about budget issues, having spoken to Goran on several budget issues, I can give you the answer and the answer is the community has asked – has fought – to have the power to be able to veto the budget and today you have to talk more to other

---

parts of the community to get the budget approved than to get the budget through by asking the board to put the budget through. The board is ready to sign budgets that are balanced. Other parts of the community believe that we are – we, as in the At-Large community – is over financed.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. I have Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah. I will be short. I think we need to deserve time on that issue at some time in the week, hopefully before we meet with Goran. And if not during the week, then set up a specific call.

I just want to say that I am talking from some historical point. I was member of the Board Finance Committee. I was chair of the strategic evolution [of the meeting]. I have a little knowledge on that why we are where we are, but I can show you a business card when I was board member and I negotiated the budget for ATLAS-2 signed by the chair of the board with the amount of dollars. I don't know if the chair today and the board member representing At-Large will be able to do the same, but I would hope that at least it will be the same amount, not a decrease. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. I have Dave, Sergio, Adrian, and Humberto.

---

DAVE KISSOONDOYAL: Okay. I'm afraid I am going to support the argument of Sebastien, not the part about the treatment but the part concerning that all the ALSes should be given the opportunity to participate in the ATLAS meeting because that last meeting doesn't happen very often and the time that it's going to happen, I think it's premature that all the ALSes that are registered with ICANN should be given the opportunity to participate because the ALSes are doing a wonderful job. There are a lot of ALSes that have never attended any meeting or never given the opportunity to attend an ICANN meeting. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Dave. Just one point. We also have General Assemblies in between times, so what we could propose is that we have ATLAS every five years but we don't have GAs. Those are also opportunities for ALSes. That's when the ALSes of each of the regions actually come to an ICANN meeting, so they do have an opportunity. These are things that we have to discuss. We've got to balance ... The funding is no longer the same as it was when Sebastien was on the board, so we do have to look at making some checks and balances. I'm not opposing anything. I'm actually just putting it out there. We have Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Maureen. I'm going to speak in Spanish. I should say that I fully agree with Sebastien. I remember that I started working at ICANN in 2005 and I remembered that at that time that small group, that small At-Large group, meeting in [inaudible] Argentina [inaudible] into five regions with many organizations working within the At-Large Structure.

---

I see how we have decreased in participation, in ICANN participation spaces in order to take care of the budget.

So, I have many concerns. Whenever we speak with the board, the board is really concerned about companies, but they're not concerned about governments or they're not concerned about organizations representing end users. However, we, users, are the ones spending money when we buy domain names. So, I believe that this is part of the business responsibility of companies and ICANN to fund at least once in a lifetime because we have to meet all together. This is not crazy. This is not a crazy idea and we need to ask for that. This is a political issue and not an economic issue. We are not being restrained and the economic power is important and we are suffering based on the definitions or concerns of a powerful people. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Okay. To be honest with you, I would say that I do agree and I fully agree with Sebastien Bachollet. From my personal point of view, the meetings that we had in [Fika] among the RALO leaders and Goran, well Goran highlighted the fact that someone had to be responsible for the high cost or the money that is being spent in ICANN meetings. And in one of those meetings, I told him that At-Large is suffering the cost reduction and he told me that, in fact, we are spending exactly the same. But there is a reality and the reality is this. I want to be very clear and honest with you. We are creating, with next ATLAS meeting, we are having a meeting with highly privileged people. Let me explain this.

---

We are highly privileged, those who are able to attend ATLAS meetings, because the metrics we are going to impose will mean that only people having a very high knowledge of ICANN matters and At-Large topics will be able to attend. So, let's be honest. We ourselves are the ones creating – and sorry for the expression. We are creating a ghetto for people to attend to the next ATLAS meeting because only those who really know how the system works are going to meet the requirements to attend the meeting.

Of course we are going to take care of the budget. We are doing that, not because we want to do it, but because we are imposed to do that. And of course we are going to be careful with the funds that we are allotted, but only people meeting with the metrics will be the ones attending to the meeting. So, we want people to attend, but they are the ones who know how At-Large works. And we don't care about the rest. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Humberto. I'm just remembering, too, that the metrics have not actually been developed yet and that sometimes that knowledge may not be the key criteria. So, let's continue. We've got Tijani and then John.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much. I think this discussion is very late. Too late because two years ago we started speaking about who will attend our next ATLAS and there was an opinion inside our community that a lot of

---

our ALS representatives don't attend the monthly call of the RALO, don't try to work on the mailing list, don't work in any working groups, don't do anything between two ATLASes. And when you send the mail to ask them if they are able to attend the ATLAS, they are the first to answer yes.

More than that, during ATLAS, in the groups we form to discuss topics, they even don't attend. So, it was a consultation inside the community that there is something to do. But, I thought that we will work on some kind of criteria and we will work on it, I think. The problem is that the number is fixed now to 60%, between 300 and 60, there is a big difference and I think we will be shocked by our community members, by our ALS members.

I think this discussion is very late because things are already done now. We don't have money for more than 60 persons, so why we are discussing?

JOHN LAPRISE:

If I can just say two things quickly. One is I agree with Tijani that we definitely have an internal practice problem, to make sure that the people who are participating are actually participating. But, to the broader discussion, I think we also have an optics problem. It's clear in the past couple of years that other SOs and ACs have a perception of At-Large that we think is an error and this is impacting our relationships with those other SOs and ACs. So, we should consider putting together when we meet with these SOs and ACs in the course of a meeting, we should make a concerted effort at a future meeting to bring a "road



---

show” to these other SOs and ACs to say, “This is what we do at At-Large. I know you don’t see us in action very much, but this is what we do. This is what our members do. This is why we need to be supported and not attacked.” I think that will go some way to addressing some of the issues that we’ve been talking about here in this session. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Jonathan, then Satish, then Sebastien.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Hi. Again, I think as Sebastien said, we might need to reserve time to have this broader conversation. But to address the issue of metrics and who makes it in or out, I think I want to echo Maureen’s point that that just means we need a different type of metrics. We need to make sure that we develop metrics that are inclusive, but that measure effort or something like that as opposed to knowledge, because it is about participation and actively attempting to participate at the very least, and if we don’t measure that, then I think we’re going to continue to have the optics problem that we have that is, in some measure, deserved.

I think we’re also doing ourselves a disservice if we try to always argue we’re just misunderstood and we’re amazing and everybody’s impression of us is wrong. I think that’s a mistake as well. I think we need to make sure that we’re looking at ourselves hard as well and take a little more control over our own destiny. I said this over and over again. I think the At-Large is facing an existential crisis right now and I

---

think we get caught up in minutia way too much as if there isn't a problem. And there's a huge problem going on of the role of At-Large inside of ICANN and we need to make sure that we're putting a lot of effort into addressing that. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Maureen. I agree with Tijani as well as John Laprise on both the timing issue as well as the optics issue. These are substantive issues. They are not going to go away just by us stating something in public.

Now, the real problem is that we have a budget, we have a number of people, and we have metrics which are going to be set up. This will, on the one hand, enable 15 members per RALO to participate, but on the other hand, it's going to kind of evoke some kind of resentment within the rest who, for whatever reason, are not able to come to the ATLAS. So, I would call for process as well as an open transparent process of creating the metrics and monitoring and collecting the metrics so that at the end of it, we don't have further disparity or divisions within our At-Large.

I would be happy to have a kind of shakedown of ALSes, given the fact that many of them are not functional. They're dysfunctional. They're dormant. So, if At-Large has to reinvent itself, as Jonathan is pointing out, we might have to use this opportunity not just for ATLAS-3, but also for reorganizing ourselves. And consequently, a good way to discuss –

---

a good place to discuss – this would be the At-Large Review, the working group that’s looking at the At-Large Review. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

French. So, we have to use our tools and they will disappear if we don’t do so because of financial problems. I tried to be quiet, but please, I’m one of the oldest participants at ICANN in this room. Let’s not forget about our history. Where is ATLAS coming from? Why did we create it? So that there was an opportunity. We say every five years an opportunity for all the structures to meet and know one another, not only to do everyday work, but also for them to meet up, to know what’s going on in other countries, on other continents. So, please, do not answer regional. Regional means yes we’re going to meet between Europe, between Latin America, but we’re never going to meet between Europeans and Latin Americas, for instance. That is why we created ATLAS. I insist.

I was the one who proposed the creation of what was called later on ATLAS. It was in Lisbon and the RALOs were very regional, of course, and there was a need in the life of At-Large. Once every five years is not a lot. There was a need for us to all meet. Let’s not forget about our history. We talked about the issues at At-Large that happened 2002, 2005 and so on and so forth, and 2009 when we had the first ATLAS put together, people criticized a lot. Yes, they do. That’s life. That’s our life. At At-

---

Large, we have to be able to defend ourselves. There is a battle coming up and brewing up all the time. Let's not forget our past. And I hope that our future is not only going to defend ourselves, but do more. The budget of ICANN has [not] been adopted. 60 participants today and if we don't fight, it's going to be 50 or 40, so we're not sure of having 60 participants yet. We should fight on one participant per ALS. That would be very important. At each RALO, we have to do our work. The ALSes that do not do anything we have to get rid of them. That's how we should proceed. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sebastien. Just one comment. For example, at ATLAS-1 there were 90 people. At ATLAS-2, 150. If we were to run the same situation, 230 for ATLAS-3. It was either take the 60 or we actually wouldn't have had ATLAS at all. I think that what we may have to do is actually start again. As has been raised in several of the speakers is that we have to prove that ATLAS is important. For me, personally, let's take what we've got and let's work with it and prove that it's going to add value to ICANN and its mission.

Carrying on, Olivier and then Humberto.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Maureen. John Laprise earlier mentioned maybe we should do a traveling road show or introduce At-Large and was putting some of the points, the negative views of At-Large on the part

---

of lack of knowledge from other parts of ICANN. I have an entirely different view.

I used to think that we weren't known very much, but I think that with the amount of work that has been done and the amount of statements that have been published and so on, that is quite the contrary. In fact, the very fact that we're rowing against the – I think some call it, is it the military industrial complex? Well, it's not military, but it's the industrial complex of ICANN. It means that we are actually bothering some people and we're not following the same stance as many of the other parts of ICANN. We tend to align ourselves from time to time with the GAC, which apparently seems to be a chargeable offense in these circles and this sort of thing. So, the more we actually bother other parts of ICANN by not agreeing with their schemes or their ways to make dot-money-dot-fast we are [inaudible] dot-money-dot-fast in some cases, I think. We will be criticized and the criticism is only set to increase, and therefore I should say that I agree with Sebastien.

We need to stand our ground. I'm not sure I totally agree with how to do it, but unfortunately part of it is there is a saying in French called [inaudible]. The earthing pot against the metal pot, and the problem is that we are the earthing pot so we do not have, in my view, the strength to go and fight off everyone else when the whole system of the budget now – and I'll repeat this again. This is ever so important – has to be agreed by all the SOs and ACs. They can file objections to the budget. You can bet that there are some. An aligning of minds and other parts of ICANN to say, "What is At-Large doing spending our money?" Is something that might happen easier than we think. Thanks.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Olivier. Humberto?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I'm going to be very brief. Tijani, just a short answer. You could not participate in our meetings with the chair, and with being claiming or having discussions about the budget more than two years. I'm just mentioning this so you do not think that we have not defended our interests.

I also agree with metrics. I think we need to do something to provide support. But we need to be honest. We have 60 slots and only those who are the most privileged will attend the next ATLAS meetings. We are creating inequalities. We are fighting against inequalities and we are saying we need to have one Internet for all, but that's a lie. Let's be honest. Actually, it is one Internet in At-Large and then the next meeting it will be one Internet for 60 people only.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: As Olivier said, whether the pot hits the rock or the other way around, it's still bad for the pot. Yeah, we are in a bad situation. We encountered a budget scenario and we had the impact of it, but we have to look at it as an opportunity, using the Chinese word for crisis. It's danger, yes. It's but it's an opportunity. I think the RALO General Assemblies is where we should really look very well at building our capacity and looking at those individuals who are engaged.

---

In the RALO situation, not every single person is really entirely engaged. Yeah, we have a high attendance rate to our monthly calls, but do they do as many policy statements as they should? No. How much work does it take to engage people and get them actually deeply involved? I personally think 60 active people at the ATLAS-3 is not a bad idea. More manageable. How do you select those people? That's going to be the challenge. Obviously, we have metrics in attendance and comments and stuff. But perhaps we can look at some additional sponsorship that could come from other sources to expand that 60 as an idea. It's going to be tough.

There's going to be two other events going on at the same time. One is the second school of Internet governance two days before in which I'll be raising money and hopefully we'll have some extra money possibly for additional people. Second of all, the regional IGF that we're organizing right after. So, you never know. There might be possibilities.

So, I don't think, from my perspective, from additional funds, maybe we could be looking at maybe an additional ten or something that we could possibly fund by our budget process. My honest opinion, I don't think it's a terrible situation that we only have 60.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Well, thank you, everyone. As you will have seen, if you're keeping an eye on our actual agenda, this discussion has actually been extended a lot more than was intended. But, I think that for the beginning of the week this has been an excellent exchange of ideas and the term frying across the tables has been excellent for starting off how we really need

---

to proceed during the week, and keeping those ideas in mind for some of the situations that we're actually going to be involved in and the discussions that we're going to be involved in, especially in relation to those two key areas, and of course that is the implementation plan and ATLAS-3.

So, do keep ... Talk to each other during the week about those ideas and keep them in mind for when we actually move into those areas later. Sebastien, you're not going to take very long, are you? Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. It's a totally other topic, but I think one of the meetings, from my point of view, will be very important and I am not sure that we are really ready for [that meeting] with Root Server System Advisory Committee because what they propose is a change for them and for ICANN, therefore for us. We need to understand what they are proposing and we need to be sure that we agree and we support it. That means that we need to have at least one or two people who know well what is on those documents and can be arguing where we disagree or if we are not disagreeing. I think it's a very important point. We need to be ready for that and not just waiting for them to show what they have to show us, even if it will be interesting. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sebastien. I think that's important, too. Using this time to highlight those sorts of areas of the program that are coming up that we may need to address. But with regards to this particular one, it's one



---

of the reasons why we've actually introduced a lot of things because that's our opportunity to raise our views about and give our inputs into those sorts of situations.

Okay. We're probably down to some of the administrative parts in the winding up of this particular session. There is a section that we're going to be talking about reporting. There will be a Wiki page. Can somebody explain that? Yesim? It's something that's been introduced before and some people will have used it, some people haven't. But, again, it's sort of we'd like an input from anyone who's got anything to say about – not too long about something that's actually come up during the week because this is important for us to give some sort of evaluation and some sort of input from the participants from At-Large during the week. It might be a photograph. It may be a comment. It may be something that you think is important to mention with regards to our involvement this week.

For example, what Sebastien raised about RSSAC. There may be a comment about after that meeting whether you feel that our views are being put across as well as they could have been or anything. Do use that space. That's the reason is there is to provide all of us with some feedback about what ICANN 63 is meant for you.

Gisella, is there anything that you actually ... Is there anything that anyone else wants to bring up with regards to what's going to happen this week? Nothing else? Hang on. Gisella has got something to say.

---

**GISELLA GRUBER:** Just as a reminder, and as Olivier kindly pointed out, I've put it in the Adobe Connect chat as well as in the At-Large community chat. The At-Large work space that you see for ICANN 63 is most definitely the most updated version, as at this stage, we're not able to update the ICANN 63 website with the full schedule, if you go onto that, and that is syncing with any of your iPhones, etc. So, please do refer to this schedule. And as I've said, each afternoon I'll send out the information for the following day and anything that needs to be pointed out, gala tickets, etc., but we try and put as much information on this as possible, so if you could please make sure to keep an eye out on the Wiki page and any questions please feel free to ask staff. Thank you.

**MAUREEN HILYARD:** Are there any other questions or queries? One of the things that I must admit, the session that Olivier and the NCUC – this is on Monday. It's one of the things that I wanted to highlight. I think that if people can make that particular session, great. Olivier?

**OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:** Yes. Correction, Your Honor. It's not Olivier and the NCUC. It's At-Large and the NCUC.

**MAUREEN HILYARD:** Would you like to give us an overview of what is going to happen, so that we can encourage more participation from At-Large into the At-Large event?

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maureen. So, we've changed the format a little bit this time. The basic format before was to identify a number of topics of interest in advance of the meeting, have experts in the room, and then have them talk about the topic and maybe provide more than one point of view of the same topic.

What we've found is that those topics that are discussed are not necessarily the topics that the people who are in the room are interested about. So, what we are going to do this time is to start the meeting with our hands in the pocket and say, "Right. What do you want to talk about?" We'll have all the fellows. They will have already had their morning session or a session today I think it is. A full day today of important information about ICANN and all sorts of capacity building.

So, provided they've taken notes on a Saturday, on the Monday, they can then come to us and say, "Well, we want to talk about this. We want to talk about that." We'll have flip charts and we'll put the topics on the flip charts and then afterwards we'll decide together which topics will be discussed and hopefully we actually will have the experts in the room that will be able to speak to us about these things. That includes you, of course, because this is, as we said, At-Large and NCUC so we need people, we need participants from this group that are in the room that are able to pick up the mic and point out the point of view that we have in our part of the world.

That's the main idea. It's very open format on purpose. We've listened to some of the criticism in the past and we hope that we will get good

---

participation. What we're hoping is to actually get all the fellows to sit at a table and the experts to sit around outside the table. Something very different. Because the last meetings, we've also noticed all the experts sit at a table and the poor fellows are over at the back, so all they see, if we take Hadia, for example – sorry. Yeah, Hadia is able to see our back or the back of Tijani and that's not that great when you want to engage people. So, we'll try and do it differently this time. I think that's it, really. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Olivier. I think we must have Wafa come and introduce herself so that we all know who she is.

WAFDA DAHMANI: Thank you, Maureen. I'm Wafa Dahmani from Tunisia, former ALAC member. I think most of the people here know already me. I'm actually the ALAC liaison for the ccNSO. No? I'm not.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You are the ccNSO liaison.

WAFDA DAHMANI: No, I'm not the ccNSO to ALAC. I'm the ALAC liaison for the ccNSO – oh! Barrack is the ccNSO liaison for ALAC and I'm the ALAC liaison for ccNSO. I'm right.

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's the opposite.

WAFI DAHMANI: Okay. I think [inaudible]. That's it.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Olivier is just confused, understandably, with Hadia who is busy at the EPDP. Okay. Well, we've only got just a few more minutes. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is a question for Olivier. It has to do with the NCUC and this meeting which I think is great. But, I'm always wondering what was the motivation of doing these meetings from the beginning. What was the motivation? I have my own impression about it, but I want to hear you because you have been the leader in doing this joint venture which I think is very good. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Eduardo. One of the biggest confusions of people that arrive at ICANN, newcomers that arrive at ICANN, is what is the difference between At-Large and all this NCUC, NPOC, NCSG? This non-commercial stuff. Often, one thinks, "Well, it's civil society." So, we're all civil society in those people's minds, so the whole idea is to get newcomers to find out the differences, find out that in fact in At-Large we're not all civil society. There's a mix of people. We're end users and there's a difference between end user and civil society. There's also

---

sometimes a difference in opinion as well and different angles by which to actually enter ICANN.

Some prefer to be part of the just GNSO policy in the center of the policy making. Others prefer to be in the At-Large community that not only has policy but also deals a lot with capacity building, with outreach, and with all of ICANN's different components parts, not just GNSO.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Also, one of the implementation plan issues was the fact that At-Large didn't seem to have much connection with other organizations, constituencies within ICANN. I think this is a prime example of something that we actually have been doing and it can be incorporated into that issue. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Maureen. That's exactly what I wanted to say. Perhaps the original objective was to clarify for the newcomers the difference between the two constituencies, but I think that one of the main objectives for me is to work with others, not to work in silos, have connection with others, especially NCSG, NCUC have very often hostile position against ALAC. And when you speak to people one by one, you don't feel that there is any problem. So, it is, let's say – I don't know – a mentality perhaps. Perhaps there is people who want that we are against each other and this kind of event is contributing to destroy those walls, to make this perception different. So, I think that is one of the best initiatives that Olivier and Tatiana took. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani. As a final [inaudible] and it was probably something I was going to raise earlier but I really did not want to stop that conversation that we were having because it was an important one. But what I did want to bring to your attention is what has been called the [Organagram]. This is something that has actually been in development basically since I took over, came into this role as the incoming chair and I really wanted to get my head around if I was new to At-Large, where do all these people fit? Where do they fit? Who are they? How do we see ourselves fitting into this and who do we contact for various things?

The first thing that I, of course, is looking at who is the ALAC? But not only who they are, what their names are, is that they're already engaged in a whole lot of things. Who are the go-to people within your region that if you wanted to find out more about ARIWG and you're in LACRALO, who's actually working in that area? That was At-Large, that was the ALAC, the committee itself.

Then, one of the things ... And I don't even know how I came across it but I was reading through the minutes of a regional leaders meeting and in that, there was just one statement that caught my eye. It was a statement that said that ... Well, I'm not sure of the exact words, but it implied that there was a disconnect between the ALAC and the regional leaders.

I know there aren't too many ALAC members in this room, but I think that one of the things that's probably been really – it's been an interesting feature is that we're actually getting the voices of the

---

regions. I think that this is where I wanted not just to have an ALAC leadership team but an At-Large leadership team and that At-Large leadership team includes the RALO chairs, so that when we're actually having discussions, what we normally do is the leadership team meets before, a week before, the ALAC meeting to discuss issues that are going to be discussed during the ALAC meeting. It's a time when we can share those views from the regions as well.

Then, so that we've got the ALAC committee, we've got the leadership team which are the blue area in the middle. But then we have the workers and the workers are the ... So, we've actually got the workers down the bottom. The way I wanted to ... I was trying to envisage how we organize the work that At-Large is supposed to be responsible for. The key one, of course, is policy.

The CPWG I see as integral to the main work of At-Large and we have ... It's something that was started before and it was based initially on the three key working groups which were merged together to create the CPWG. It was to discuss issues related to registration, gTLDs, and something else.

But, what I would like to do from now on is that those three working groups, because the original working groups, because we want to be more inclusive of people who were not part of those working groups is that the CPWG is going to be more inclusive now and anyone who wants to join it – and that includes the ALAC members are already members of the CPWG. I would like all ALAC members to be contributing to that.



---

Regional leaders. Regional leaders are also part of that CPWG because I want them to actually be contributing to that policy, those policy discussions. But not only just contributing to them, but taking those ideas from the CPWG back to their RALO meetings and getting some feedback.

One of the interesting comments that I had over the last few days was that one of the really, really interesting aspects and one of the things that really caught the eye of the board was when there was some ... With an ALAC statement that there was actually some particular reference to the impact that that policy or that issue had on ALSes, the individual members. So, it is really important that we do have that bottom-up input into those policy statements, if at all possible.

So, the inclusion of regional leaders within [inaudible], is to actually have that input, that high-level input, but also that it incorporates, that it is actually providing that groundswell into those three streams, policy being the first one and of course with Olivier and Jonathan leading that, but involving ALAC, regional leaders, and anyone else who is interested in a ... So that depending on what ... I'm sort of envisaging that they would be talking about a whole lot of different issues, but there will be issues that will be what is on top for us within At-Large. That's something that we want to be able to discuss.

Daniel and his co-chairs are in charge of the work stream on outreach and engagement and that will include any of the working groups that are related to outreach and engagement.

---

You'll also see that above the box that Daniel and there's the blue box which is the ALAC leadership team members and that's Tijani and Ricardo. I sort of see them as the advisory – they're the advisory support for outreach and engagement, similarly as John Laprise and Sebastien are again support for the policy area.

The third area, of course, is the organizational one which is the one that I will take charge of and I will have Holly as my sidekick and Alberto leading that with co-chairs leading some of the work groups that will be – and it's looking at the two primary areas of course are the At-Large Review and supporting the ATLAS-3 activities. But, it also includes the finance and budget and all the other extraneous that are not policy and not outreach and engagement sort of activities that come under basically organizational things.

But, I thought I would bring this to your attention again. It's going to be part of our discussion. I was supposed to bring it up earlier, but I'm glad I brought it up now. We've had our discussion. We've had that talking with each other about some of the things that are on top for us. It's good that Sebastien started those discussions because it's got us all ready and fired up for a really great week of participation. I'm really looking forward to that and then adding this into it so that it gives you an opportunity to have a chat about how I propose to move forward.

I had to show this to members of the board and Goran and others. They're really interested in seeing how this works. I'm very grateful that, for example, I've got the support of the regional chairs to be part of that

---

leadership team and that if we can get those three strings of work activity going that we can engage more people. Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Maureen, and thank you for this presentation. I have plenty of things to say, but my first thing is that, as you are the incoming chair, I appreciate that you come with ideas and proposals and I will leave you to do it, even if I think it's a little bit over-engineering. But, I have two points.

First of all – and it's not because you agree me that I was member of [ALT] but I hope that we will have some time in [inaudible] meeting because sometimes with six people it's easier to solve some tricky issue, not with 20 or 25 people. That's a way of organizing.

My second point, maybe because I come where I come but we have to be very careful that we are not just inside us and among us. One point I was struggling with the previous chair, and I am still struggling and maybe I want to make this proposal. Why on Earth the ex-board member [sent] by At-Large was never suggested as a member of the ALT? I know I was, and I am, a bad man then maybe the previous chair decide not to have me. Okay. And I can understand. There is no problem with that, but I really think that if we want ... As we are an At-Large advisory committee to the board, it would be very interesting and important to know how the board is working, not just with the current member of the board but with a previous one if they want and can participate to any type of meetings. I really think that it will be a good

---

move in the future. Once again, it's not a requesting from me. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Right. Thank you for that, Sebastien. I know that we've actually gone over time, so I would like to thank you very much for attending this session. I think I'm supposed to allow you a bit of a break before the next one starts in about five minutes. I'll let you have a little bit of time. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Coffee is served just outside the room to your right and I did put in the At-Large chat that the food vending for lunch is downstairs on the ground floor, or if you go towards the escalators on your left, at the end of that passage, there's a little stand as well. Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**